Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question, sorry.
I am looking in maybe replacing my handlebars with some pro taper se atv highs. Mainly because I am looking for a way to decrease the numbness in my hands. I have a couple questions first. Are the mid or highs better off? Also, how do they compare to the stock as far as height/width?

And, are you able to put bar weighs in? (the ones that are currently on my stock 2008 klr)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Another question, sorry.
I am looking in maybe replacing my handlebars with some pro taper se atv highs. Mainly because I am looking for a way to decrease the numbness in my hands. I have a couple questions first. Are the mid or highs better off? Also, how do they compare to the stock as far as height/width?

And, are you able to put bar weighs in? (the ones that are currently on my stock 2008 klr)
Scroll down a bit on this page, he has a chart with the stock handlebar dimensions and discusses replacements.

Rocky Mt. has a handlebar chart here.

You'll need handle bar inserts and probably longer bolts to use the bar end weights.

If the stock handlebars are OK for you except for the height you might try Rocky Mt's risers, $20

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Another question, sorry.
Why sorry?? Questions are what this forum's about!! :)

I've always kicked around Pro Tapers, since they vibrate less and are a great product.. Alas, I'm cheap and installed a standard aluminum CR-HI bar..

If or when you get them mounted, please share what you have and what you found while installing and riding with the PT's!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
To get a sense of what will worke better for you as far as pull back goes try this little exercise. Hop on your bike and set the handlebars straight in front of you then place your hands at your side. Now close your eyes then place your hands on top of the bars but don't grip them. Feel where the bars are in relation to your hands. If the bend fits you well the bar will run right along the base of your fingers. If the bar runs from the base of your index finger into the middle of your palm then the bar has too much pull back. If the bar runs from your index finger toward your pinky finger then the bar is too straight and needs more pull back. Maintaining a natural position will help alleviate numbness.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an '09 with the pro taper high ATV's. Without the bar ends they had more vibration than the stockers with the bar ends. With the bar ends, the pro tapers have less vibration than the stockers with the bar ends. Plus they feel much better. They allow you to "feel" the road but have less vibration. Plus they have a better bend to them that allows me better control. Now, I just have to find a good pair of brushguards to go on them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an '09 with the pro taper high ATV's. Without the bar ends they had more vibration than the stockers with the bar ends. With the bar ends, the pro tapers have less vibration than the stockers with the bar ends. Plus they feel much better. They allow you to "feel" the road but have less vibration. Plus they have a better bend to them that allows me better control. Now, I just have to find a good pair of brushguards to go on them.
Hey, did you use the stock end weights? did you have to do any mods to add the end weights or did then happen to screw right in?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The stock end weights are bolted on by the factory. The stock handlebars have threads in them that accept the bolt that runs through the end weights. The pro tapers do not have threads. I had to use expandable inserts. This isn't likely to apply to you but I got the inserts off a pair old brush gaurds that I got from a garage sale for $2. The brush gaurds I got do not fit but the inserts from them were just the ticket. Im not sure if you can buy the inserts by themselves or not.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Old thread but good information. Looks like the less pullback for the Pro Taper bars is 2.17. Is the a way to measure the pullback of the OEM bars?

I am looking to replace my KLR stock bars with a Pro Taper bar as well as replacing the stock bars on my new Super Tenere. I like running the same bars when using more than one motorcycle. Ran stock KLR bars on my DL1000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts