Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just flat at a loss.... I have an 04 klr 650 and have owned it for about a year and a half. I ride all the time and have noticed that the engine at a constant throttle
or at highway speeds it almost acts as tho it is running out of fuel??? Also the idle was very hit and miss sometimes it would idle rather high and other times not at all. I took the carb out to clean it and noticed that the slide was very worn. After cleaning it and getting it running it just flat won't idle. I ended up replacing the carb......still no idle. At constant throttle unless under a load it sputters won't run smooth. Any ideas???? Please help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would check the flow of fuel from the petcock. Apply vacuum either with a Mighty Vac or by just sucking on a tube (get to know your bike) attached to the nipple behind the fuel outlet. The idea is to trigger the vacuum control in the petcock. If there's no flow or very little you've found the problem. Try opening the fuel cap to check for a clogged tank vent. You may also have a vacuum leak in the hose that runs from the manifold to the petcock or where the intake attaches to the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks I think that will work. There are only two things that run the fuel on that bike. I changed the one when I got a new carb. It makes alot of sense because it acts like it is running out of fuel. Loss of vacuum. Thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
If no joy after checking the petcock...

next time it runs like it is running out of gas...open your fuel cap. IF that fixes it your fuel cap vent is clogged and as you ride, it is creating a vacume in tank...disrupting fuel flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you guys for the help. Thanks again. I must say that I have ridden all of my life and never owned a dual sporter until now. I really wish I would have bought one sooner. Shows a whole new world to riding.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hey thanks I think that will work. There are only two things that run the fuel on that bike. I changed the one when I got a new carb. It makes alot of sense because it acts like it is running out of fuel. Loss of vacuum. Thanks again

Is the bike hard to start? Ever checked the valves?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Remove the little aluminum cap that covers your idle mixture screw.. I'm betting your screw is bottomed out..

Verify, and bring the screw 2.5 turns back out and take it for a ride..

Mine did the same thing.. Been fine ever since adjusting the idle mixture screw.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was it. I changed out the vacuum pump on the backside of the petcock valve. It runs better than it did when I first got it. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 07 did this all the time. Did the .22 cent mod and it helped some :animal0034:but still not completely gone. Then I purchased a Dyno Jet kit and installed as per the instructions. Never been happier as it runs great and no more popping on decell. Also I installed a UNI air filter in lieu of the stocker!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to know that you got this straightened out, this issue can be caused by a number of things (like you discovered) and they all take time and money to diagnose. My 2003 was doing this for a while and I took many of the same steps as you.

-Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts