Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with my right and left turn signals. Sounded like a short coming from the flasher, so I bought a new one and after 3 uses, i am having the same problem. not getting the short noise but turn signals come on but do not flash. Does anyone know what I should do next?

·
Registered
272 Posts
have you changed any wiring lately? indicator bulb get changed lately?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I know of. Previous owner put wiring for cell phone charger on it but that is wired right to battery, doesn't effect any other wires. And signals worked until went for long dirt road ride (100 miles).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Do both side's lights come on no matter which blinker you try and use? Also, when you you replaced the flasher, do you mean the relay?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes both lights come on and stay on, they don't blink anymore.

Yes I mean the relay. Bought a new one and put it on, on one ride worked correct for three turns and then strangely just stays lit, now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It sounds to me like the relay blowing from a short somewhere in the wiring, you can try to ping it out, or I'd look under the seat and under the tank to see if the wiring has been chaffed somewhere. I'm not the most knowledgeable though, maybe wait and see what someone else says.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry, ping as in to use a multimeter to check the continuity between wiring, I'd see if any of the wires that are not grounded end up having a connection to ground. If it is a short could very well be intermittent, if the bike moves it might rub a wire against the frame. I had an issue with my headlight that had to do with wires rubbing. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Old school how to

I don't think you have a short. If the lights are on and not flashing you are back to the flasher. A short from the flasher to lights would make the light flash very fast or not come on at all. The flasher is just a breaker which breaks connection under load. That's why you have to go to a timer to flash LEDs the amp load is very low and will not pop the breaker or flasher in this case to blink. It's not uncommon for a new flasher to fail. If you still suspect a short you can find it with a compass [no joke] replace the fuse that keeps blowing with a test light, as long as the test light is lit you have a short. the test light will allow trace voltage to the short with out melting the harnest. Now this is where the compass comes in, put the compass near the harnes and it will point to the short and center over it. I hope this helps :63a:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts