Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st time on a bike.

Narrow 2 lane road out to a remote work site. Most people drive about 60 mph, limit is 55. So I'm sitting in behind a commuter van and he slows to mid 50's but there's a car behind me creeping up than backing off a bit, keeps doing that, not maintaining a safe distance IMHO. Oh yea it's dark and cold.

So I decided to get out of there and pass the van, not too fast I'm on a KLR! Maybe hit 70 going by him. When I get to the gate and there's a cop behind me with lights on. I pull over and get off. His first comment was you were speeding when you passed that van, uh well... turns out he was that car behind me. I told him I didn't feel safe in the situation and he says "well that's understandable!" I'm thinking well why were you driving like that, didn't say anything though.

He says he'll let me off with a warning, I thank him. I was ready to take the ticket because I decided long ago that I would do what I needed to do on a bike to stay out of danger if possible.

·
Registered
689 Posts
IMHO you Absolutely did the right thing! I have had very similar situations, where you say to yourself "get out of here" and that's the right thing to do. I was taught in the STAYIN Safe course to pass 18wheelers "with speed and authority".(as an example)If he had given you a ticket-I would have advised you to contest it.
Glad you just got the warning!

·
Registered
376 Posts
He says he'll let me off with a warning, I thank him. I was ready to take the ticket because I decided long ago that I would do what I needed to do on a bike to stay out of danger if possible.
Wow. At least he was cool and gave you the warning. Maybe he'll take your message to heart and try to maintain a 2-second follow in the future...

...Well, we can always hope.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Definitely the right move. The cop made the right move, too.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Ya, just because they are cops doesn't mean they know how to drive. I've seen some cops make some real bone head moves and then they wonder why they get hit.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
CHP, Sherrif, or a Local? It's been my experience not all police officers are created equal and degrade in that order. I've always respected the CHP and now that I'm in Texas the DPS, very professional. Sheriff's are so-so, and the locals alway iffy at best. Dont know if it's a matter of training or what. I know I'm painting with a very wide brush and your experiences may be totally different.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CHP, Sherrif, or a Local? It's been my experience not all police officers are created equal and degrade in that order. I've always respected the CHP and now that I'm in Texas the DPS, very professional. Sheriff's are so-so, and the locals alway iffy at best. Dont know if it's a matter of training or what. I know I'm painting with a very wide brush and your experiences may be totally different.

He was a civilian military police officer, late 20s looked like. I think he knew he did wrong, didn't lecture me.

I have 2 CHP officers in my family. They are the best of the best and I have no doubts that they would give their lives if need be.

·
Registered
452 Posts
we dont have local pd where i live in Alaska just troopers . they seem to give most bikers pretty good margin when passing beacause of our raised roads and conditions of our roads at times ..

as long as your not just riding aggressive to ride fast but to pass and get out of harms way they seem to understand .

i hate belly dump trucks and how they spray rocks underneath at speed .. i got hit in the shield and it split knocked my head back ringing my bell i swerved into the oncoming lane and powered out riding hard as i could to get away from it .. i pulled over to catch my breath about a mile up at nearest pull off ..
trooper pulled behind me figured i was gonna get nailed for riding so aggressive getting away .. he just walked up and asked if i was ok ..i showed him my helmet damage he said
'yeah i saw that you handled your bike very well considering how hard u got hit" .. he offered to stay till i got my wind back .. i said i was good and he went after the truck ..

when i ever i see a mud truck i dont wait behind they dont usualy cover their loads and it hurts being sandblasted ..

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
when i ever i see a mud truck i dont wait behind they dont usualy cover their loads and it hurts being sandblasted ..
Right, that reminds me of a story worth passing along. While I was living in L.A. I'd been following a Con-Rock hauler south on the 605. I exited the same place he did and when we got stopped on the offramp I noticed a rock the size of a football stuck in between his rear duals. It could have been bad, real bad. Since that day forward I do not dally behind anything like that, trash trucks especially.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats! I echo drspocket's comment as it all comes down to attitude! If there's too much on either side the result won't be good. Just got to make sure we keep ours in check to make sure "riders" don't get any further bad publicity IMHO. Happy New Year and keep safe!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I pulled up to a stop sign at the top of a hill, and i hear an engine kick into passing gear, flying at me. So I get out of there, and its a cop pulling me over for...... wait for it ...... doing a wheelie.
He said " it wasn't one of those evil Knievel wheelies, but your wheel left the ground"
I said let me see if i got this straight
you are going up the hill, i am going down the hill, and you could see that?
you could see that in the dark( 9:30pm)?
you could see that past my rear wheel?
Than he said well, I am going to write you a ticket.
I lost it!
I berated this guy up and down, and two more units pull up one with a k-9.
That was the only time I did that, but it was needed. He didn't show up in court, and the ticket was dismissed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts