Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
My guess' would be Coolant Elbow & Intake Elbow would be in the kit. The BIG o-rings.... are they for the head or base gasket area?

Willie

· Registered
2022 KLR650
98 Posts
the larger round ones are for installing the sleeve back into the cylinder. there's one there for thermostat housing, intake, cooling passages etc
Is the Cylinder Sleeve in the KLR easy to remove like a "wet sleeve" design (think truck & tractor diesel here) where they are designed to be a drop in?

When I mentioned the large o-rings being for the head and base gaskets, this is what I was thinking was o-rings to seal the cooling passages.

Willie

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Cylinder Sleeve in the KLR easy to remove like a "wet sleeve" design (think truck & tractor diesel here) where they are designed to be a drop in?

When I mentioned the large o-rings being for the head and base gaskets, this is what I was thinking was o-rings to seal the cooling passages.

Willie
I don't think so when Ive taken the top end off the piston sleeve and sleeve assembly have all stayed together. I know you can take them about and get larger sleeves put in but I have no experience with that. It was left in when I got it bored out ass well.

· Registered
527 Posts
you only need to replace the sleeve if it's really out of round or you need more room for the bigger piston options. maybe someone else can chime in but I think the 685 can fit in a bored factory sleeve but if you want to go bigger you need a different sleeve.

to remove the sleeve, throw the cylinder in the oven. the aluminum will expand more than the sleeve. in a perfect world a cylinder puller or press would be used to pull / push the sleeve out straight but a hammer and some wood in the right hands can get it done relatively easily

to install, the sleeve goes in the freezer and the aluminum jug goes in the oven. it will pretty much fall in place but you will need to seat the lip in the last bit. it doesn't take much. a hydraulic press operated with your finger and a few blocks will ensure it goes in perfectly straight but again a bit of wood and a small deadblow hammer in the right hands will get you there too,

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Your cylinder must be 1996 or newer to install the 685 kit. What year is your bike?

I would recommend that you Shouldn't mess with cylinder sleeve & o-rings yourself, without all the proper tooling.
If one pinches or skins an o-ring going back together your engine will leak coolant into the engine oil!

One should 'skim' the cylinder deck after removing & reinstalling a sleeve to ensure the sleeve is 100% flush with aluminum cylinder block.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you only need to replace the sleeve if it's really out of round or you need more room for the bigger piston options. maybe someone else can chime in but I think the 685 can fit in a bored factory sleeve but if you want to go bigger you need a different sleeve.

to remove the sleeve, throw the cylinder in the oven. the aluminum will expand more than the sleeve. in a perfect world a cylinder puller or press would be used to pull / push the sleeve out straight but a hammer and some wood in the right hands can get it done relatively easily

to install, the sleeve goes in the freezer and the aluminum jug goes in the oven. it will pretty much fall in place but you will need to seat the lip in the last bit. it doesn't take much. a hydraulic press operated with your finger and a few blocks will ensure it goes in perfectly straight but again a bit of wood and a small deadblow hammer in the right hands will get you there too,
Form my understanding the 685 and 692 kits work with the factory sleeve. But the 692 starts to get a little thin. Anything about that needs a new sleeve such as the 705 and 719.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Didn't know that I have a 2016 klr 650. My brother bought a 1989 klr 650 with a 685 kit I guess the previous owners put in a new sleeve.
I'll suggest that whom ever installed the 685 kit in that 1989 bike purchased a used 1996 or newer cylinder.

The exterior of the 1996 & newer cylinder block is Larger to accommodate the slightly thicker OEM cylinder liner and still have clearance for coolant.
But the even thicker LA Sleeve cylinder liner for 705 & larger kits need even more clearance in the water jacket of 1996 & newer cylinder blocks. This is done with very judicious grinding inside the water jacket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts