Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a new 08 bad and have been to the dealer and drooled. when I got on I would have to say it is about as tall of a bike as I could handle. Im just wondering how many guys running the 650 are my size 5'-10" 200lbs. Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lots!
You can lower it an inch or two as some had.
Others will pipe up with more info soon.
Welcome.
John

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am 5'6" -have two inch lowering links and a corbin flat seat---I probably could have went with 1" links-but I like to be able to have more foot on the ground where we go on our KLR's.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 5'7 150lbs. I ride with a corbin dished seat and have no problems. I might get a progressive lowered rear shock to make it a little more stable off-road. It's a great bike. I'm starting to have withdraws right now, I'm going to have to go riding soon!

·
Registered
61 Posts
have no worrys there to tall, im only 5,7 200+ (well just go with that) and i get along just fine. the suspension has settled a little on my 08, i mean i dont get both feet flat, but i get the balls of both on the ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'll never regret buying the KLR. I think it's the best bang for the buck. (I have three different bikes). You can lower it but remember you'll need the shorter sidestand too (Dual Star). I opted for the Corbin seat (1" lower) and stayed with that. Here's where you'll have problems. When parking or turning on a slope, it's easy to fall, since one foot may not reach the ground. By the time your foot reaches you may be off balance. I have a 30" inseam and confess to tipping over just like that. It happens in slow motion and is embarrassing. The bad news is you may break a mirror or lever. The good news is the sheet metal and plastic doesn't even get scratched. (It lands on the bars and pegs.) I got in the habit of putting the sidestand down, letting the rear suspension come up, turning the bars right, holding the front brake, and swinging my leg over.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am 5'10 190 lbs. I ride an 07 stock height and I am 49 years young. The hard part is throwing my leg over, the suspension squashes a little and I am good to go.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have come to find out the easiest way to mount up is like riding a horse. With bike still on the kickstand you put foot on footpeg, throw leg over there you are. Dismounting same way. Put kickstand down, lean bike over onto it, standup on pegs and swing right leg over and off. Yeah I installed high grade bolts in the foot pegs :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks! I saving my pennies and as soon as my kawi 360 quad is paid off i will hav one, contrary to what my wife thinks... expect to see more of me on here seems to be a very helpful and friendly forum!

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey, I'm only 5'4" and I just shift my whole body off to the side, then kinda just get my foot on the ground. but I do have a 30" inseam, and I can get the ball of my foot on the ground in athletic shoes(what I was wearing at the dealer. my work boots are thicker soled and will definately help a lot in getting my foot stable on the ground.
I wont lower my bike any, since coming from a sportbike I learned that changing the height alters geometry and you end up with a less capable machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
parking problems

I'm 5'9", 31" inseam an last October, when parking my A19 in my side yard (on wet turf), my kick stand sunk into the sod and me and the bike fell to the left. I hit my head on the house while going down and broke my left shoulder when I hit the ground :mad0235: That cost me 6 months of pain and the bikes left handguard plastic. Lesson learned: don't park it if you can't get your feet on the ground, cause the suspension will unload when you go to get off.

Cris

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm 5'9", 31" inseam an last October, when parking my A19 in my side yard (on wet turf), my kick stand sunk into the sod and me and the bike fell to the left. I hit my head on the house while going down and broke my left shoulder when I hit the ground :mad0235: That cost me 6 months of pain and the bikes left handguard plastic. Lesson learned: don't park it if you can't get your feet on the ground, cause the suspension will unload when you go to get off.

Cris
Dang, sorry to hear about all that. I am about an inch taller, same inseam. I had an ole timer that rides the KLR show me to mount and dismount the bike like a horse. Put left foot on left footpeg and then swing right leg up and over the seat, leaving the kickstand down until you get up and on the bike. I also welded a huge heavy round washer on the bottom of the kickstand. The bike has yet to want to sink into dirt or hot blacktop. I also dismount the same way. Put kickstand down, stand up on pegs and swing right leg up and over and step off the bike. Oh upgrade the footpeg bolts with 10.9 or 12.9 hardness bolts. My local ACE hardware store had both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts