Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New member. I just took delivery of a brand new '09 KLR, and I'm absolutely loving it, considering the temps have been in the 40's lately. The question I have is about the mirrors. One appears to be higher and set out farther. Which side is this one supposed to be on, I have a feeling they were incorrectly installed. I am assuming they can be switched around?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2011 and mine had the illusion to be set lower than the other also. I would suspect that the lower mirror is screwed in more thus making it lower. Simply pull up the rubber casing, loosin the nut(proper wrench included in your tool kit), turn the whole mirror assemply out where you want it, once high enough re-tighten nut closest to handlebar bottom and walla, you should be golden.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
flatlander,
I know my bike was originally set up incorrectly, with the right mirror and starter button switch gear put on incorrectly.. They should have been swapped, moving the mirror and clutch lever outward so they allign with the end of the bars the same as the left side..
Is there a chance yours is also done this way?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My mirrors were a bit off on delivery as well, but I just adjusted them to where I wanted them. I am looking to change out the stock mirrors for something sleeker or foldable for riding through brush. Any idea's for replacment mirrors?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sounds like he's going to spend some cash to get something that can't even be used as a fishing anchor.. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actuall I am having problems seeing anything behind me in my left hand mirror. I did notice because of the brake reservoir that the right hand mirror does in fact sit about an inch higher.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Actuall I am having problems seeing anything behind me in my left hand mirror. I did notice because of the brake reservoir that the right hand mirror does in fact sit about an inch higher.
there are two ways to resolve this.
1. find a mirror extender
2. bike master sells a compatible threaded 8mm mirror which is almost three inches longer but it vibrates more than the stock mirror.
http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestore.com/Bikemaster-BIKEMASTER-SCOOTER-MIRROR-detail.htm?productId=8514611

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I installed Ken Sean 5-1/4" wide rectangular mirrors; about $ 13 each (IIRC) from TPI. http://www.klrparts.com . KLR section, "handlebars," I think.

Wide-screen, HD view behind me, now!

Not Hubbel Telescope optical quality, but . . . did I say they cost about $ 13 each?

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Touche', Buildit! LOL.

A tool-room mockup only; shown to illustrate relative sizes and shapes only, in no way representative of the optical quality of deliverable mirrors. The relative sizes and shapes of the mirrors illustrated remain valid.

The only optical abberation I've noticed in the mirrors mounted on my bike is slight distortion at the extreme edge of the reflective surface; YMMV but I do not notice this condition when riding; I find the wide rectangular mirrors most effectie.

(Perhaps I should have used Mount Palomar, vs. the Hubbel telescope, in my allusion/simile!)

Further, the Ken Sean mirrors have a slight "wide-angle" curvature, enhancing the rear view area coverage. I installed dampers with my Ken Sean mirrors (on '07); don't know about mounting 'em on '08's and up; believe they'd work o.k. without dampers, given the change in mass and moment of the design, compared with the OEM products.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

FULL DISCLOSURE: No financial interest in TPI or Ken Sean.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got mine from this guy... SOLID AND WELL BUILT... I will post pictures later on...

Sam Bennion
801-787-9397
[email protected]

Takes PayPal and Credit Cards

A set of mirrors for forum members: 55 dollars + Shipping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts