Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that a smaller outside diameter rear tire (same width) will help lower the bike a little, and not cause any ill effects. So- does anyone know what size would do this and still act/ ride correctly. I plan on using IRC GP 110 tires, but not sure if that brand has a smaller O.D. Tire that will do what I am trying to achieve. My plan is this + lower suspension link 1”, lower forks 1”, and cut down the seat. Any rear tire size suggestions ?.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Best way to figure it out is to use a tire size calculator. Keeping same width and going to a 130/70-17 will decrease the diameter about 1" or lower the bike 1/2". That's the simple way. but motorcycle tires are not sold like car tires. Seldom (never) can you find a tire where you can maintain width and just change the aspect ratio. You would have to find a manufacturer that makes that specific tire size in a dual sport tire. IRC doesn't.

Just looking at the IRC tire you are considering, in 17" size you have a choice of a 5.1x17 (which is equivalent to stock) or a 4.6x17 which is a narrower width. I suspect that the aspect ratio for the 4.6 would be 90 so effectively the outside diameter is the same as the stock sizing.

Best bet is to stick to stock tire sizing.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I have 1 each un-installed/un-inflated Kenda K761 & Shinko E705 rear tires in stock.

The Kenda K761 rear is the lower profile Tubeless capable model in the 130/80-17 size. Overall diameter measures about 24 & 1/2 inches.
This is a little shorter tire than the OEM Dunlop K750 130/80-17.

The Shinko E705 rear is Tube Type Only model 130/90-17 ordered to get its extra height. Overall diameter measures about 25 & 5/8 inches.

I think that I remember that the IRC GP110 5.10-17 was a little shorter than the OEM Dunlop K750 130/80-17. A IRC GP110 4.60-17 might lower the rear rack about 3/8 - 1/2 of an inch, imo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts