Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 06 KLR from a guy who had "rejetted it for high altitude" here in Colorado.

I know he put in a 138 main jet, a supertrapp exhaust, and drilled holes in the airbox.

The bike runs outstanding with lots of power. I just don't like the pipe as it is too loud.

So I put the factory exhaust back on and covered up the holes in the airbox with duct tape.

It seems to run ok, obviously not the grunt it had before but feels like a stock bike.

My understanding is that the factory sent these things out rich. So do you think I need to mess with the jetting or just leave it with the 138?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts

It seems to run ok, obviously not the grunt it had before but feels like a stock bike.

My understanding is that the factory sent these things out rich. So do you think I need to mess with the jetting or just leave it with the 138?

Thanks,

Pat
Pat -

They come from the factory lean.

I would suggest that you leave it be until you can find evidence that it should be changed.

Take the thing for a run for half an hour, then pull over and check the plug. It should look sort of tan in color around the insulator. If it is black and sooty, it is too rich and you might want to lean it out.

If you can get someone to stick an O2 sniffer up the tailpipe and give you a reading on the Air/Fuel Ratio, so much the better, but the plug check will do the job, just not as precisely.

Tom

Also take note of your gas mileage. MPG varies quite a bit depending on your size, how you ride and where you ride, but if you are getting mileage in the mid forties, you're probably in good shape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went on a 75 mile ride in the mountains yesterday up as far as 9000 feet and it ran fine. The only thing is that in stop and go traffic, the temperature gauge rises pretty quick to the middle where it stays.

I assume that is normal. THe fan works.

I know in a lean condition, heat is an issue

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Patrick-

How much stop and go? Denver style, which is as bad as any big city?

Before my Thermo-Bob it took a lot of stop and go in summer temps to get my gauge to rise that high.

It's not really abnormal as long as it comes down pretty quickly, but a bit unusual for a stock cooling system.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts