Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dinged up my rear rim on a recent trip through central Australia.
Bike is a 2008, first of the 'gen2' bikes.
There's a rear off a 2005 for sale locally.
My question is can I use the 2005 wheel on a 2008?
TIA.

iddy

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Don't know, but . . . a modest proposal:

Check part numbers by year from Internet (e.g., BikeBandit or Kawasaki, "View Part Diagrams."

Otherwise, some learned inmate may already know the answer and share it! :)

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Although I haven’t done it personally, I’m 99% sure that you can use the Gen 1 wheel. You will have to use your Gen 2 brake rotor but for the rest it should just pop in. Ask the seller if you can try it.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Part numbers are different but that's probably because the spokes are different...I believe it would work, except the rotors - so says Eaglemike, WymanWinn and ChuckB

Dave

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha Patroy!
That shows you have a long memory indeed!
Stay safe! That’s a big storm you guys are having. We call ‘em ‘cyclones’ over here and I’ve been through a few over the years. Once it’s passed over it’s a good excuse not to go to work, and the KLR is the perfect machine for puttering around and checking out the damage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s a picture of the crack, I’m posting this from my phone so you’ll have to click and expand

2A6ABE29-159F-4422-87C2-B46540392C51_1536950191330.jpg

Don’t know if this is ‘weldable’ or not and it’s entirely possible that a good second hand replacement would be cheaper anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
That is the 1st KLR wheel I've seen with a crack running longitudinally.

As others have said, install your Gen 2 Brake Rotor on the Gen 1 Wheel. Same applies to the Front wheels, swap the rotor and go.
But if you ever need spokes, remember what wheel is which Generation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts