Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is question for riders of camouflage color bike. How is your visibility in traffic according to your experience? Do car drivers want to kill you more i.e. turning left in front of you, trying to T-bone you etc.?
I was just reading an article about vehicle color and it says silver and grey are the 2nd more likely to get involved in accident and usually the other driver says he/she 'didn't see you'. Black ranks 1st.

·
Registered
Tan 2008: DooBob and Raised
15 Posts
I have a sort of tan/ivory color. The idea was to mimic the military klr with the diesel. Ive only had one close call but i wear a red jacket so i figure that has saved me a few times. If you're that worried about visibility, buy a hivis jacket instead of worrying about your bike color. You can swap a jacket faster than the paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think your head light is your best protection. Fortunately the PO of my bike did the Cyclops LED headlight upgrade. Not so sure about me seeing the road at night (I don't ride at night) but it definitely gets peoples attention coming at me. Plus from the front, not sure the bike's colors are all that visible. While I have blue and white, looking directly at the front, it's mostly black

·
Administrator
4,425 Posts
I agree with @bigbluklr and @27duuude . Your headlight is your best protection. Bike colour isn’t very obvious head on. Most times I ride with the high beam on. You want to make yourself seen and not rely on the other traffic to see you. I move around in the lane hoping to grab attention.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special
53 Posts
white or hivis helmet hivis jacket led headlight hi beam on as much as possible led driving lights added tail lights and brake lights too rear end needs extra visibility also imho

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is question for riders of camouflage color bike. How is your visibility in traffic according to your experience? Do car drivers want to kill you more i.e. turning left in front of you, trying to T-bone you etc.?
I was just reading an article about vehicle color and it says silver and grey are the 2nd more likely to get involved in accident and usually the other driver says he/she 'didn't see you'. Black ranks 1st.
Yeah that was of some concern when I bought my A. If I could have got an Adventure in either of the other two finishes, I would have. I think the other colors look better, cosmetically. But I def wanted all the A features. The "fog" lights are nice, I keep them on always for max conspicuity. I think they mitigate the Camo "unseen" factor very well. Haven't been flashed yet during daylight, so apparently they were adjusted at the dealer or at the factory.

This is my first bike ever with driving lights. I avoid riding at night (poor night vision) unless I absolutely have to. That said, the KLR A's lighting is impressive at night, especially where I live now in the Ozarks. Dark, tree-lined twisties with zero shoulders require 100% focus. The foggies make getting home at night a whole lot easier now! (y)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys have a point. Side view of the bike doesn't really matter it seems.
I myself is basically a rolling lemon. I wear hi-viz jacket and helmet and the bike is white. Still drivers find problem gauging my distance.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special
53 Posts
did you ever wonder why trains have 3 lights on .....? i understand human eye can percieve distance better with 3 focal points that why i have at least 3 on all my bikes

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you ever wonder why trains have 3 lights on .....? i understand human eye can percieve distance better with 3 focal points that why i have at least 3 on all my bikes
I didn't know. I also see train with different kind of lights arrangements. I think 'bigger = closer' to simple human brain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My KLR is mostly rino lined, technically its dull black, with a little red for the lettering, so Im not sure that camo would make a difference, but my 98 Durango is Full Camo. People actually seem to notice it more than anything else just because its different so I would think that camo might make it more noticeable.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 41 Posts