Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Question for the camo gang

6K views 98 replies 31 participants last post by  New2kaw 
#1 ยท
This is question for riders of camouflage color bike. How is your visibility in traffic according to your experience? Do car drivers want to kill you more i.e. turning left in front of you, trying to T-bone you etc.?
I was just reading an article about vehicle color and it says silver and grey are the 2nd more likely to get involved in accident and usually the other driver says he/she 'didn't see you'. Black ranks 1st.

#3 ยท
I think your head light is your best protection. Fortunately the PO of my bike did the Cyclops LED headlight upgrade. Not so sure about me seeing the road at night (I don't ride at night) but it definitely gets peoples attention coming at me. Plus from the front, not sure the bike's colors are all that visible. While I have blue and white, looking directly at the front, it's mostly black

#4 ยท
I agree with @bigbluklr and @27duuude . Your headlight is your best protection. Bike colour isnโ€™t very obvious head on. Most times I ride with the high beam on. You want to make yourself seen and not rely on the other traffic to see you. I move around in the lane hoping to grab attention.

#5 ยท
white or hivis helmet hivis jacket led headlight hi beam on as much as possible led driving lights added tail lights and brake lights too rear end needs extra visibility also imho

#6 ยท
Yeah that was of some concern when I bought my A. If I could have got an Adventure in either of the other two finishes, I would have. I think the other colors look better, cosmetically. But I def wanted all the A features. The "fog" lights are nice, I keep them on always for max conspicuity. I think they mitigate the Camo "unseen" factor very well. Haven't been flashed yet during daylight, so apparently they were adjusted at the dealer or at the factory.

This is my first bike ever with driving lights. I avoid riding at night (poor night vision) unless I absolutely have to. That said, the KLR A's lighting is impressive at night, especially where I live now in the Ozarks. Dark, tree-lined twisties with zero shoulders require 100% focus. The foggies make getting home at night a whole lot easier now! (y)

#80 ยท
Yeah that was of some concern when I bought my A. If I could have got an Adventure in either of the other two finishes, I would have. I think the other colors look better, cosmetically. But I def wanted all the A features. The "fog" lights are nice, I keep them on always for max conspicuity. I think they mitigate the Camo "unseen" factor very well. Haven't been flashed yet during daylight, so apparently they were adjusted at the dealer or at the factory.

This is my first bike ever with driving lights. I avoid riding at night (poor night vision) unless I absolutely have to. That said, the KLR A's lighting is impressive at night, especially where I live now in the Ozarks. Dark, tree-lined twisties with zero shoulders require 100% focus. The foggies make getting home at night a whole lot easier now! (y)
could not be more impressed with the stock LED lights on the 2022 adventure. With the fog lights on, they are amazing. Turns night into to day.

#9 ยท
did you ever wonder why trains have 3 lights on .....? i understand human eye can percieve distance better with 3 focal points that why i have at least 3 on all my bikes

#19 ยท
The yellow helmet jumps out at me!

#27 ยท
I have that Amber overlay on my headlight

#24 ยท
I think the issue everyone keeps forgetting is that there are not very many trees on the highways and city roads. A camo bike next to a red F-150, behind a green Civic, and in front of a yellow ford Escape isnt going to blend in. If you are doing 60 mph through thick congested forest trails dodging bread trucks and 19 wheelers, then you might have a problem if they cant see you. Human eyes are attracted to something that doesnt fit in. As an Infantryman and that is still walking and talking, I might have a general idea of how camo works. In the woods, camo blends in and is hard to see. On a street downtown, the blue 4 door Hyundai fits in, but the camo bike doesnt. My Camo Durango gets seen by everyone because it stands out from every other vehicle unless I am parked or driving through the woods. Black or Green camo doesnt blend in with very many other surroundings unless you are actually in the woods at night.

Run your camo, and enjoy it. If you get nervous, buy a Neon Orange jacket or wind breaker.

#26 ยท
High viz, DRLs, brighter headlights...all are helpful I believe..even so, I ride like I am invisible and never assume a driver "sees" me.
But hey, use all the tools in box available, sure nuff.

Problem is, some studies have shown that even if seen, they (some drivers) can tune out the MC as non threat..focusing (the brain) on something like a big truck.
They (some drivers) fail to recognize and even worse, our small "foot print" is easily blocked out, esp in on coming situations.

F9 'splains it better than I can

Hence, the always leave yourself an escape path.
I always cringe when a MC rider is riding my bumper when driving, hoping I don't have to make a quick manuver or stop (deer, person walks out in road, etc.).

Stay safe out there

#30 ยท
I hear ya banditclik, not to spin off in to a rabbit hole...but in my neck of the woods, the "aggressive" driver seems to be ever on the rise.
Not just the careless type..but aggression.
I don't think it is just in my area.
We have three, what I call "crazy hours"...the a.m. crazy hour, running late for work or what not, the lunch time crazy hour and finally, gotta get home ASAP crazy hour.

In general, or unless necessary I won't drive or ride in town during those aforementioned crazy hours.

..I live in a relatively small town population of 20,675 as of 2020 census...

Trip to doc the other day, major city...used the interstate...and quickly recalled why I loathe driving or riding on the interstate...folks almost at will it seems, zipping in out of traffic, high rate of speed.

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

JK but seriously, lots of NON use of indicators seen on that Interstate drive + excessive speed, weaving - its a bit on the scary side of things...

BTW for us MC riders, using the indicators well before making your turn / lane change is a good idea...the quick "flash" and then lane change or turn..not good idea.
Often I will use the hand signals AND the indicators aka blinkers if I think the driver behind is not slowing down or errrrrrrrr looking at the CELL PHONE or TEXTING...

Speaking of visibility, which this started on I believe...don't forget the rear of the bike...checking the flashers, brake lights, etc. before taking off on your ride.
I don't ride at night if possible but do have some reflective stickers or tape on panniers or lisc plate frame etc.

Its easy to blame the Richard Cranium drivers..but we as riders, have to take responsibility too...Just my 2 cents

#31 ยท
I just saw your post Banditcilik on which you saw first.
That is interesting, for me, it was Phillip as I saw the bright headlight (high viz excluded).
And you are right, angle plays in for sure.
So, yeah, each person will notice something different (one hopes)..the point being to get the attention of drivers.
Use all the weapons in your arsenal I say, metaphorically speaking of course.

#32 ยท
I excluded Phillip since he is on different angle. The headlight really does help front visibility as other folks mentioned here.
I too don't like riding on interstate especially since KLR cruising speed is pretty low. But sometimes the other choice is surface street with traffic light on every two blocks for miles and miles. I check mirror at stop light and modulate the brake light whenever I see car approaching from behind.

#33 ยท
Automotive lighting Food Automotive exterior Red Personal protective equipment

I do not get paid by nor do I work for this company.

However, I use this product on several bikes including my KLR and I think it is an outstanding unit, never given me issue and is relatively easy to install.
In fact, have one coming for the new (to me) wee strom.

I mentioned it because you noted you modulated the rear brake.
I took that to mean manual application aka "tapping" the brakes?

If so...
This will do that for you automatically and has a feature you can play around with the flash rage etc.
It also has built in signals / indicators to augment the bikes units...all is LED and VERY bright.
Be sure to check your state laws on using this device, due to the flashing feature.
Mine is factory default at I THINK 3 seconds of flash...then itt will not reengage (the flashing) for several more seconds to avoid a continual flash.
This I think is the concern.

Speaking of light modulation, a friend rider has one of those modulating headlights...for the pointy end of the bike...I have seen car driver pull over and let us pass when he is behind.
Again, legality...check
He notes it bothers them.
Dunno, I put myself in the car seat and think...would it bother me?
Probably to a degree....Joe Avg. Car driver might ...

Personally, I will stick with just a non modulating head light, although have upgraded on couple of bikes to brighter light.
Since I don't night ride if possible, I just consider the brighter lights increased visibility day use.
And not a hindrance to others night vision.

ride on

#34 ยท
The railroads did testing and found the warbling headlights you see on trains got the most responses for catching attention. These devices can be put on motorcycles in all 50 states.

Reactions: banditcilik