Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went into a local m/c parts store and picked up an extra set of tubes--I had just ordered a new rear tire and remembered the size (130/80-17) and the guy checked his book and sold me a 500/5.30-17 tube. I had gone to the Avon distanzia over stock, and he said the one he gave me was right for a street-oriented tire. But now I see the "KLR FAQ" site says 4.00/5.10-17 is right. I don't know if I should take it back or will it be fine. Help, anybody?

·
Administrator
8,265 Posts
I'd think it would be too big. The tube would wind up with wrinkles in it which would chafe and wear, eventually leading to a leak.

Tubes have ranges of tires that they will fit e.g. 4.00" to 4.30" because they have some elasticity. If you try to stuff too much tube into a tire, though, it's just going to fold up on itself and fail early.

Tom

The above answer is 100% incorrect. I will leave it up as a testament to my occaisional bouts of rectal-cranial insertion.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I went into a local m/c parts store and picked up an extra set of tubes--I had just ordered a new rear tire and remembered the size (130/80-17) and the guy checked his book and sold me a 500/5.30-17 tube. I had gone to the Avon distanzia over stock, and he said the one he gave me was right for a street-oriented tire. But now I see the "KLR FAQ" site says 4.00/5.10-17 is right. I don't know if I should take it back or will it be fine. Help, anybody?

It's fine, and use it.
130cm is the same as 5.12", and that falls right in the middle of the 5.00-5.30" tube he sold you.. In other words, it's the correct tube.

Don't forget to toss just a bit of air in the tube before sticking it in the tire to help avoid pinching when spooning it onto the rim. By a bit, I mean enough so it's not flat, but not round anymore.. Just enough to give it a bit of body..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Paper is right. Is is the right tube. use it

·
Administrator
8,265 Posts
I am embarassed, and rightly so. Paper is correct. Somehow I read that Sacramentomike had a 4" tire, even after I saw the "130/80".

Paper -

Thanks for not starting your post with "Hey, Tom, try reading for comprehension! What a maroon!"

:ashamed0005:

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Paper -

Thanks for not starting your post with "Hey, Tom, try reading for comprehension! What a maroon!"

:ashamed0005:

Tom
We all make mistakes or read something in our head that isn't actually what's on the page..:1: I know I do it more often that I'd like to, also.. :8:

That, and I figure we all have to deal with enough people pointing out our mistakes. No need for me to just be another one of them.. This forum's about fun and info!!:cool0012:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts