Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any ideas on fabricating a simple seat release system?
Dont want holes drilled in side covers as I have seen prevously.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I don't fasten my seat to the bike anymore. If it goes flying off when I'm going down the road, I have other, more pressing issues that will make losing the seat seem minor. The bike has been around the block a few times. The seat has never come up to meet me on my way down. I've tried a few knurled thumb screw types to use on the side panels, without much success. Either my fingers can't manipulate them, or or they stick out and I "catch" on them. I do understand your desire to make the seat "quick release". I have a Concours that has a key operated, one turn release on the seat, and quick release pins on the gas tank. I can have that bike down to the backbone in minutes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vatrader
I probably wouldnt feel comfortable not having the seat secured at all, but your suggestion of pins got me thinking.
Maybe mounting pins underneath the seat and drilling through the rear guard would be a possibility. Holes in the end of the pins and split pins might do the trick.
Steve.

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Not that it has to do with how the seat itself is bolted on, but having owned both, I wish the KLR's had those side panel fasteners with the little D-rings on them like the Honda XR's have: no tools required and maybe 10 seconds to take off the side panels. That was one of those nice, "don't miss 'em until you don't have 'em" features about the XR.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I would think that if you removed the weld nuts that the seat bolts run into, they could be replaced with the receiver end of Dzus type fastener. A twist, and they are free. The basic system HD uses to secure saddlebags to bag mounts.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You could use the same quick release pins on my Hobie cAT-WHY DIDN'T I think of that . Just by their catalouge-you will see the quick release pins-get right dia.
Mark

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't fasten my seat to the bike anymore. If it goes flying off when I'm going down the road, I have other, more pressing issues that will make losing the seat seem minor. The bike has been around the block a few times. The seat has never come up to meet me on my way down.
Ha - I've done the same thing. The only thing holding the seat onto the bike is my ass, and it hasn't gone anywhere yet. And your assessment of "if it goes flying off when I'm going down the road..." is my sentiments exactly!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just removed the seat bolts and left it like that..the seat never moves, just wedges in by the rack and stays there.
Same here.. With my Pelican top box and the shape of my Russell seat, you have to wiggle it just right to get it out.. Even harder to do when I'm sitting on it..:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Another thing you could do is to us velcro. Place velcro-tape on the frame and on the under side of the seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't find the post,but I did mine from memory. I drilled a 3/8 hole in the middle of the rear fender there's 2 phillips screws holding the rear fender to the support, make sure u go through the support and the rear fender. Then i installed the seat and drilled underneath the fender(though the 3/8 hole) i drilled into the bottom of the seat( just through the plastic bottom). Then I drilled another hole about 2" straight forward of the 3/8 hole. Drill it big I used a 1" holesaw just through the plastic not the foam.enough to get the head of the bolt and a flat washer throught the plastic bottom of the seat. I then cut a line from the middle of one hole to the middle of the other hole with a sharp boxcutter. I think the 3/8 bolt was 2' long fully threaded stainless steel. I placed the washer on the bolt and pushed through the 1" hole so it was on the inside of the plastic. Then took a screwdriver and opened the slot i cut between the 2 holes and slid the bolt reward toward the 3/8 hole that lines up with the 3/8 i drilled through the fender. i the placed a flat washer on the bolt so that the plastic bottom of the seat was sandwiched between the plastic. I then put a star nut on the bolt and tightened it. I then enlarged the fender hole i had drilled to7/16 so that it was easier to get the seat bolt to line up. put the seat on and used a elastic stop wingnut and washer under the fender and voila. Works great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to cut out a 5 by 6 hole in the fender liner and slide in a 5''by 6'', 4'' deep plastic box like a food storage container. Or what even box close to that size I can find. have it stick up about 1/4 '' so the snap on cover will fit and then silicone it in. I did it on my cbr1100 and worked great handy for flashlight,air gauge ,tools, patch kit, fuses,bulbs, lighter, bunge net ,bunge cords etc. Stuff that u want to carry but don't always need. My bike is and 09 and I was going to relocate the fuses to a more convienant spot but need I won't have to because even in the dark it will be easy to access.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I suppose I'll volunteer to be the [email protected]$$ here... what's the reason(s) for quick access to the under seat area?

Battery?
Yes; and . . . fuses!

You've doubtless not encountered a situation where a fuse wanted checking or replacement in the field; manipulating the cumbersome and awkward OEM seat attachment remains inconvenient and time-consuming; a more optimum scheme would involve quick, tool-free removal and installation for the seat.

Further, certain maintenance procedures require, or are facilitated by, removal of the seat (e.g., some carburetor operations); further, tank removal requires demounting the saddle.

I think you can realize how a quickly and convenintly demountable seat might enhance life with a KLR650.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I suppose I'll volunteer to be the [email protected]$$ here... what's the reason(s) for quick access to the under seat area?

Battery?

Relocated tool storage?

Hidden flask?
One of the other reasons is that if you have saddlebags mounted to the bike, the frames for the bags can make it a pain to remove the side covers. The covers can't pull out unless you take the saddle bag frames off.. (depends on saddlebag frame design)

If you can't take the side covers off, you can't get at the seat removal screws in the back..

Just a time saver, really..:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
I really suggest getting on Hobie Cat,s website request their free catalog and checking out the "quick release" pins that they sell for use with the standing(opposed to running), rigging. They are pricey because they are airplane hardware rated-but 2 pins-hey I use em,love em and like the fact that when I take a spill, my seat and items under my seat will be there where they belong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read on another site how a guys did his. He removed the seat then installed a "blind nut" (5/16) in the seat base. drilled a hole in the rear fender to match up with the nut. He used a wing nut, but a regular nut could also be used.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts