Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone to quit the habit with ,any interest ,if so please let me know by posting, About 48 years for me ,and I,m just finishing the last carton of lovely cigars lol :character00271:,The cut for me is Jan 22/13 or before ,yes I,m talking to myself. :stickpoke:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Congrats on the quit! It will be tough, but the ultimate rewards will be worth it. If you ever need to just vent, feel free to blast off! You've got some good online support here!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looking for someone to quit the habit with ,any interest ,if so please let me know by posting, About 48 years for me ,and I,m just finishing the last carton of lovely cigars lol :character00271:,The cut for me is Jan 22/13 or before ,yes I,m talking to myself. :stickpoke:
I'm down. 22nd is good day. Started an fell off

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Damn Sprocket!!!!

Good to hear you're going to kill the fag!...lol.

You be in so much better shape when you get up here, there will be no stopping you now!

I could join you and substitute binge sugar fixes......I've eaten so much candy and chocolates in the past month I'm surprised I'm not sugar coated myself!

If you need a good talking to....just ask....lol....:13:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fight the good fight brother, its tough but well worth it. I smoked for 20 years and have been smoke free for two years now. That was the toughest thing I have done in my life. I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I smoked for a decade and have been quit for over one. Be tough...I hate cigarettes now. And I used to smoke two packs a day. Good luck!

check out quitnet - they help you track cigs not smoked, money saved, etc. Here's my stats:

Time Smoke-Free: 4226 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes and 52 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 76079

Lifetime Saved: 19 months, 11 days, 3 hours

Money Saved: $16,164.45

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Smoking took my Mom 15 years ago. She was 53 years old and had smoked from the age of 13. I still miss her.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
I may have a bit of a jump start but I am in! After smoking for 10 years I quit (again) November 1st. So far things have been rocky but I remain smoke free. I understand that it is a process and will take some time to get through. Also I fully understand that there will be times that the cravings will be overwhelming! Yep, been there. Got through it through grit and the desire to breathe.

The real issue is that it got to where I could not breathe anymore and am having sleep apnea. Apnea got better since I quit but is not totally gone yet.

Problem is...I live with a smoker who smokes a couple packs a day. Hard to stay quit. What helped me was the lozenges. They take the edge off. Being an 18 year snuff dipper of a couple cans of copenhagen a day, the lozenges are a natural replacement for smoking!

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
The cravings are bad for the first while, but then it get's better. When I was quitting and I was having cravings I would do something to distract me until the cravings had subsided. Stick with it, it's one of the best things you could ever do for yourself (and loved ones that want to keep you around for a while!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
When my dad quit many moons ago, it took him almost a year to quit completely. Those were the days before the patches, gum, lozenges and electronic cigarettes. It was cold turkey or nothing. The hard way. But sometimes I think it might have been easier in the long run. The last time I tried to quit I went 4 months and made the mistake of trying an electronic cigarette. Next thing ya know.......Those things just keep the habit going. Way too similar.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quitting is easy. I've done it hundreds of times :). Seriously tho, I quit cold turkey on November 17th 2009 after smoking for nearly 40 years. No withdraw symptoms for me at all. Guess the stars were aligned when I quit. Good luck to the OP.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
TOTALLY agree with this. I quit CT. Everyone I know who tries the gum or whatever goes back. Why? I believe that the physical part is over quickly, like a week. The habit is a bitch. But you need to divorce yourself from nicotine. Every piece of gum you chew is a reminder to your brain that you NEED NICOTINE! Bad psychology.

YMMV, but I think CT is they way to go. It makes you feel badass, too, which helps.

I may have a bit of a jump start but I am in! After smoking for 10 years I quit (again) November 1st. So far things have been rocky but I remain smoke free. I understand that it is a process and will take some time to get through. Also I fully understand that there will be times that the cravings will be overwhelming! Yep, been there. Got through it through grit and the desire to breathe.

The real issue is that it got to where I could not breathe anymore and am having sleep apnea. Apnea got better since I quit but is not totally gone yet.

Problem is...I live with a smoker who smokes a couple packs a day. Hard to stay quit. What helped me was the lozenges. They take the edge off. Being an 18 year snuff dipper of a couple cans of copenhagen a day, the lozenges are a natural replacement for smoking!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had been using asthma inhalers for years before I quit smoking. No longer need them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You will save alot of money and your health

NEVER SMOKED CIGARETTES THAT IS, IT IS A DIQUSTING HABIT YOUR CLOTHES STINK YOUR HOUSE STINKS YOUR CAR STINKS ETC.:animal0019: WISH YOU LUCK.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TOTALLY agree with this. I quit CT. Everyone I know who tries the gum or whatever goes back. Why? I believe that the physical part is over quickly, like a week. The habit is a bitch. But you need to divorce yourself from nicotine. Every piece of gum you chew is a reminder to your brain that you NEED NICOTINE! Bad psychology.

YMMV, but I think CT is they way to go. It makes you feel badass, too, which helps.
You won't hear a single chirp of disagreement out of me. Everyone has a different way of quitting but when it comes right down to it....ya just gotta let go. That is the hard part. I used the lozenges to get me off the mechanics. Then when I went hunting for a long weekend I made sure I was about to run out just as I left. That was my cold turkey. I just had to let go.

I salute those who don't have withdrawal symptoms! Some do not addict and it is easy. They smoke for 30 years then just decide that's it and they have no cravings or urges ever again! I so wish it were that way for everyone. Sadly, it is not. We just gotta remember.....it's a marathon, not a race!:28:

·
Registered
357 Posts
At one time (and this is no shit), I had a patch on one arm, a chew in my lip, a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. Wanna talk about a buzz?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just keep thinking once you quit.....you can never let a cigarette (simulated or not) ever touch your lips again......period, and you will succeed.

January 31 2005 at 10:30pm, just before bed was my very last smoke for 25+ years. Quitting paid for my KLR, bought new, a 2009 in Jan of 2011, and all the mods I have done to it. I enjoyed smoking but hated being captive to it.

Do I get urges.....every once in a while out of the blue I will get an urge for no apparent reason, then in the very second I realize I want a smoke, the urge goes away and you thank God for giving you the strength to quit.

Once I had quit for a period of time I realized how nuts I was for starting and it made it easier to never want to start ever again.

One caveat, never subsitute cigars or Mary Jane for cigarettes thinking that you're still quitting.........you will restart as it's an oral habit as much as it is addictive.

Good luck.

·
Honda VTX 1800c
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I jumped the gun

Yes the old cold turkey the first day things became so clear ,I realized I,m not nearly so fond of my neighbors !
day 2 not sure I like my dog! :63a:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts