Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, three motorcycles went to the mouth of the Indian River in the Atlantic coast of Panama. A mighty river 500 km long, which will be dammed, to harvest water for the canal and use of the cities. In the photos I put the motorcycle route and the river route. We went to see an activity of bartering and buying and selling of products and crops, which takes place on Thursdays, where the peasants descend on canoes built with the hull of a single tree trunk and put them outboard motors. We could not arrive at rush hour, next we will go earlier. It was a good ride by a route of varied landscapes, Caribbean coast and the new Atlantic bridge over the canal, inaugurated on August 2 of this year. The day was beautiful. Here the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics 2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Those long slender hollowed out canoes must be the original definition of the term "Banana Boat", not just because they hauled bananas. :)

I can not image the man-hours required to shape one. As a kid I attempted to cut-down a 36-40" standing dead Cottonwood tree with an axe. I gave up at less than 1/2 way thru the front side, still several inches to the hinge point.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pdwestman, I think the banana boat are the boats of the united fruit company (Chiquita Banana) that take bananas from Bocas del Toro to the different markets of the world.
To make up the canoes. they use special tools and fire to dig the log. They are manufactured where they cut the tree, when they are finished they are transported to the water with ease because they are lighter.
Sometimes they transport cows lying and tied up inside the canoe. They have another way of transporting more than one cow, where they put a log transversely to the canoe, which protrudes about two meters from each side of the boat and there they tie the cow by the head and horns to keep the head out of the water and they take them in the water swimming next to the canoe to the market or port in the river. That is worth seeing.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I would not have guessed that those boats were made from a single log. Thanks for posting this trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts