Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As the title says, I currently have an R1 but an considering getting a KLR. I can't do two bikes at once, and to be honest with you, I think I'm getting tired of the R1. Don't get me wrong, I love the absolute performance the bike is capable of, but the R1 is best ridden at a pretty brisk pace, not really at one that lets you relax and take in the scenery. It's also a horrible commuter in a mix of traffic & highway.

While I don't have as much free time on the weekends for extended rides anymore, I do still like to be able to commute if I can on my bike. And there have been times when I've wanted to run to the hardware store or down to Walgreens and thought it'd be nice to take the bike, but it's almost like it's not worth the trouble on the R1.

So, I started looking at supermotos and dual sports. I like the KLR and the DRZ400SM. I know each has their pros and cons.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the KLR. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision soon.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
From one mad German to another,

Wie geht es Ihnen? Sie sind herzlich willkommen hier.

Any questions you have, fire away! If you're looking for a slower pace, you've come to the right place and the right bike.

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,839 Posts
Mad German,
I love my KLR650. But I tend to use it in rougher country than some would even consider(Old Style Model 1987)! And I use it for everything else also. 48-58 MPG is common.

Some riders, shorter of leg might 'commute' more readily on the Kawasaki Versys 650. And still enjoy some 'sporting' roads. You may find the sub-forum in the index, or at the bottom of this page.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I rode my Goldwing up to Alaska and couldn't really enjoy any of the many fine dirt roads they have up there (Alaskans and Canadians call then highways). So, I started looking for something more dual sporty so I could go anywhere I wanted.

After looking at the specs on the many 650cc single cylinder dual sport bikes, I settled on the KLR for its water cooled engine for durability and it's six gallon tank for range and peace of mind. I now have two, so I must like them.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Before you part with the R1, are you certain that you have given it a fair evaluation?

Perhaps a pair of 270 Kendas and some raising links will make it the dual purpose bike to really turn heads on those FSR? ;-)

Welcome, and hope the decision you make turns out to be the ideal one. If you're moving from an R1 to a KLR, leisurely pace will be the least of your problems but some guards and luggage can make them very efficient. When you are walking away and hear it fall over, but don't bother going back to pick it up because you'll only be gone a short while, you will know that you're really into the KLR. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts