Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some opinions on the best radiator guard to put on my new KLR.
I see dual stars guard is welded to a new motor mount plate. Advantage? Disadvantage?
What do you use and why?
Thank You

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use the Happy Trail PD Nerf bar set because it is an Exoskeleton design and protects the tank and shrouds. I put the bike down on pavement and the set bent but protected the bike itself. I'm a newby off-road and my bike needs all the protection it can get from me.

The Inner style rad guards have gotten good review for protecting the radiator, it's a matter of style too.

TW

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Use the KLR650.com Tank Guard http://www.klr650.com/tank guards.htm since it is easier to install or remove (discovered this last weekend) and I like the finish better. HT uses a crinkle finish and .com uses a smooth finish that cleans up very well. This is just my opinion. All of them will do their job and I have tested mine (small time) as TW has tested his (big time).

·
Registered
207 Posts
HT Nerf bars with engine guard. Tested & passed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the HT rad guard and I like it - it is necessary protection and a decent price and good quality. I didn't get the NERF bars because basically I got the bike used and it had already been dropped - nothing worth saving cosmetically. My only complaint about installing the rad guard was putting the reservior side on - it was a BEAR to get the holes lined up!!! Otherwise it is good stuff.

You need something there - you need to protect the radiator, fan and reservior in case you drop it. Nerf bars look like they do the best job - total cage protection but the good ones are pricey. You can also get an aftermarket tank that will cover the stuff, or you can just go with the rad gaurd inside the plastic.
D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the response.
Is nobody using the Dual Star stuff?
They seem to look like the most well hidden, tucked in neatly behind the shroud.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
firefighter_joe said:
Don't buy the cheap KLR650.com stuff. As stated above the HT stuff is da BOMB....

IMO

Joe
Joe what is cheap about the .com stuff or better yet tank / radiator guard? if you are going to talk something down please be specific then we all can benefit from your experiences.

·
Registered
76 Posts
tomatocity said:
firefighter_joe said:
Don't buy the cheap KLR650.com stuff. As stated above the HT stuff is da BOMB....

IMO

Joe
Joe what is cheap about the .com stuff or better yet tank / radiator guard? if you are going to talk something down please be specific then we all can benefit from your experiences.
Well - basically it is a copy of the original HT design. i have seen posts about the welds not holding and made of cheaper materials.

I live here in Boise and have been to HT many times. Good old fashined American goods.

joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Viajero said:
Thanks for all the response.
Is nobody using the Dual Star stuff?
They seem to look like the most well hidden, tucked in neatly behind the shroud.
When I was setting my bike up Dual star had no stock, no idea when they would have any, and I've never really dealt with them since.
Their stuff looks good, but they overcharge for just about everything.

TW

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been dealing with Happy Trails and klr650.com for my stuff. I got all my hard parts - rad guard, luggage rack, engine guard from Happy trails and I gotta say their stuff is well made. I am really satisfied with it. I got a lot of little miscelaneous items from 650.com and they are fast fast with the shipping, but one item was out of stock. Both are local to me and I feel both are good, but I have no experience with .com's hard parts for the KLR.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
firefighter_joe said:
tomatocity said:
firefighter_joe said:

IMO

Joe
Well - basically it is a copy of the original HT design. i have seen posts about the welds not holding and made of cheaper materials.

I live here in Boise and have been to HT many times. Good old fashined American goods.

joe
I am not going to defend either .com or HT but they are not the same. I discovered this this last weekend when we loosened the upper right mounting point of a HT guard to relocate the ground wire. It was a PITA since the bolt is mounted very close to the tubing. If I was to do it for a living I would make a special tool. I checked the .com guard on my KLR (it came that way) and the mounting point is totally different and very easy to secure or remove the bolt. As far a material I can not say. The best method would be to weigh each guard and see which one is the heaviest. IMO the welds on the .com look better than the HT guards. That does not mean they are a better weld but it is an indication it is better. The finish on the .com is smooth with an excellent powder coat. The finish on the HT guard is a wrinkle paint and not smooth. When I would use that on my automobiles it was to hide a rough surface. I am not saying HT is but there is no benefit for that kind of paint on something that collects dirt. Would I use an HT, absolutely. They have a good history both in product as well as sales. .com has got a bad rep with the KLR group because they copy an unprotected idea. Tell me any of you have not done that in your life. This is America. Dell makes their living from making something better and less expensive than their competitor and that is alright. Back to KLR. IMO .com got a bad rep because they copied a product of one of our members. I love him like a brother but if you don't protect what is yours then it is fair game in the business world. Here is another issue, vendor communications. Arrowhead sell the left side switch for $69.95 and .com sells it for $59.95. What is not communicated is Fred has corrected the wiring for a KLR650 and .com is selling the universal product. Neither of these vendors tells us that and how are we to know what is what and which is which. If I had not talked to Fred about the price difference I would have bought it from .com. Fred had to tell me why his was more money though he could have added that bit of information to his webpage. All in all we have a good thing going for us with forums and vendors and we should try and help all of these to help us. Give them your feedback but don't complain unless you have a solution. What they are doing might be the only way to do it under the current circumstances. Most persons like a pat on the back and I am sure it brings a smile to their face and a day that just got easier. What was that movie "Pay It Forward". Good thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the dual star guard.....got it before they had supplier problems......also have thier water pump guard. Both went on easy and look great. Can't say that I have tested them directly for strength though....if you know what I mean :razz: Never had a problem with getting parts from Dual-Start but this was before they had supplier problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I called Dual Star with a list of stuff I wanted and they were out of stock on almost everything. So I went online and ordered my radiator guards and skid plate from Happy Trails. The stuff will be here next week.
Thanks to all that helped me make my decision. I liked the looks of the Dual Star guard but got the same "out of stock" reply as some of you. Nice stuff, but unavailable. Hmm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like Dual-Star still has supplier problems.......or they want to keep a low inventory and only build them when they sell them. It is hard to sell parts if you don't have them :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
There is always KLR650.com or HT. Two different guards but they effectively do the same thing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How much do the giant nerf bar things weight? I'd like to get one but darn they look HEAVY.

What about the one from TPI???

·
Registered
114 Posts
Too late to influence you since you already ordered from HT but I have the Dual Star rad guard. It is okay at best, it works fine but came with no instructions, took forever to arrive, and didn't mount up quite right - the shroud would no longer attach with the guard on - I had to drill a few holes in the shroud and ziptie it to the guard.

I would have / should have gotten the PD bars but my line of thinking was one shroud and the tank were already fairly chewed up before i made the investment in a guard of any type, so I just wanted an inexpensive guard to protect strictly the radiator. If your stuff is pristine and you want to keep it that way I think the PD bars are the way to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The complete PD Bar set weighs about 10-12lbs lbs. I just shipped a set, boxed for shipment was 14lbs total.

The engine bar is the heaviest piece by far, and account for at least half the total weight, it's a stout steel bar, with steel reinforce wedges, and footpegs on it. Mounted low as it is, it helps Ballast the Super Tanker fuel load above. :lol: The Upper actual PD Nerf cages that attach to the bar are only 2lbs apeice or so.

I have not noticed a weight issue, The bike still handles great. I also slimmed down 10lbs which makes the whole bike handle better.

TW

1 - 20 of 27 Posts