Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 kl600. Having problems with finding new radiator hoses. Anyone have any luck finding hoses to fit. Aftermarket? Car hoses? Other model motorcycle hoses?

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Nope, Nope, Nope.

Really, there aren't that many severe bends. I'd start with a yard of standard heater hose and see if you can build a solution with that.

If you find the heater hose is kinking then you could look at putting coils on the hoses, but that can be problematic in its own right. It might be your best bet is to look to a silcone super flex hose. These will bend to tight radii without kinking. They are expensive but probably no more expensive than a three-hose set would be if you could find one. They are usually sold in one-yard lengths and that much ought to build the three hoses you need. This is just one example: https://racebikebitzusa.com/Samco-Sport-Silicone-Straight-Hose-Lengths/samco-sport-silicone-superflex-straight-hose-length-air-water-universal

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
From BigCee's KLR FAQ page;

What about the hoses?
If your hoses are cracked or just old, factory replacements run around $60 for the set. However, you should be able to cut all three pieces from a Goodyear #63936 heater hose (which has some pre-formed bends), which is closer to $25.

Not sure if that helps but it's cheap enough to see.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dave.
I can't find any replacement hoses for the klr 600.
Mine are just old. Don't won't to have one fail while I'm out riding. I will try the heater hose you suggested.
Thanks again to Tom and Dave for your suggestions.
Tim.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
My 31 year old, 82,000 mile used radiator hoses still feel serviceable to my fingers and appear serviceable to my 59+ eyes. I trusted them against a 6 mile hike out of the 'back-country' just last Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
Yeah, I have the original hoses on my 2000 and 2001 and have no urge to replace them. .....also had the original hoses on my 53,000 mile 1974 'Cuda that were still good when I sold it 5 years ago.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
LOVE the Preventative Maintenance MindSet, but I, too... have had zero issues with MC HeaterHoses over many years of riding (Street/Dirt/Tour). I've almost always wanted to replace my OEMs with some TrickSiliconeColorMatch Set but could never justify the cost AND/or tossing something completely 'service-able'...

... said the guy who wants Black Rims on his KLR!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to put back on the original hoses. Had a coolant leak coming from the thermostat housing. While taking off the hose, just looked like it was starting to bulge. On past cars I've worked on, that was the sign to replace.
Tim

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's almost NEVER as much fun to put old parts, in lieu of NEW PARTS, back on the Bike but it sure makes sense in this case. And I echo the others; I think you can have full confidence in 'em!

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
To do that you need to have your picture on a picture hosting site such as flickr, smugmug, imgur, etc (anything but Google. One more post with a Google image link and I'm going Postal).

What the forum software is looking for is a URL that contains the image's file name, like this: h ttps://farm1.staticflickr.com/856/42884828034_40a30787b7_z.jpg

Once you have that, you use the "Insert Image" tool (an icon that looks like a postcard at the top of the "Reply" section). That will wrap it in tags like this"

[img]ht tps://farm1.staticflickr.com/856/42884828034_40a30787b7_z.jpg

It will display like this:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hijack!

Once you have that, you use the "Insert Image" tool (an icon that looks like a postcard at the top of the "Reply" section). That will wrap it in tags like this"

[img]ht tps://farm1.staticflickr.com/856/42884828034_40a30787b7_z.jpg

It will display like this:
I have a photo that I really like that T.S. photo reminds me of.
You either are a HELL-RIDER to be geared up on this Bike and AS SUCH!
Or you just got lotsa money and want to look good.

I bet this guy's a Rider!!!
Though I DIIIID just notice his BRAND-NEW-LOOKING-PUCKS!!!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
That 'flashy' BMW rider appears to be setting on top of un-scruffed tires. He better be careful, or he will scruff the knee sliders completely Off the leathers on the first turn!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put everything back together with a little silicone on the thermostat housing. Went for a ride. No coolant leaks. Small oil leak, coming from oil filter cover. Took that off and replaced o ring with a different one I had. Went for another ride and everything is cool.
I'm in Arizona and it is so hot. Have to go early in the morning. Can't wait for the cool weather. One of the things I will need is a good jacket.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jacket...

I'm in Arizona and it is so hot. Have to go early in the morning. Can't wait for the cool weather. One of the things I will need is a good jacket.
Me, too... scored a SOLID FieldCrest Mesh Riding Jacket with Liner AND Pads for $35 on CL. Just keep checking and checking until you see a Jacket you like and then go SCORE IT!

'love savin' money maaaaaan!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts