1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 has developed a leak.

OEM is out to the question for $800!!

I can get a Mylers SuperCool for $310.

Just curious if anyone has recently had their stock radiator repaired by Mylers and what the cost was?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
And then, . . . there's always, "StopLeak," etc.

Not to mention JBWeld, when a hole might be visible.

Hey, we ARE thrifty KLRistas, are we not?

:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a great experience with Mylers and heartily recommend them - they repaired a few cracks, reinforced my stock radiator with a bracing bar, and got it back to me in about a week and a half. I think the total cost for everything was around $150.00 and I've not had any problems with it since then (this was about a year and 20 K miles ago). For what it's worth, the local radiator shop had told me it was "un-repairable"...

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Ah, ye of faint heart!

"Proper" shop repair or replacement remains desirable, when practicable/available, but . . . sometimes, the expedients mentioned work satisfactorily for many miles and years. And, on the road/trail, say near Skunk's Misery, AR, a radiator makeover/replacement might not be available.

I've heard horse manure seals a radiator leak sometimes; that's the only field expedient do-it-yourself technique among those mentioned I haven't used. Run, screaming, from the room at the thought of in-a-bottle/in-a-tube radiator repairs, if you must, but . . . sometimes, these MacGyverisms can help you make it through the night, or even longer, in my experience. YMMV! :p

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I jest and I would be among the first to try a "field remedy" to get home......but once warm and safe, in a proper shop, said makeshift repairs would be swiftly redone. .....I've heard pepper works too ;-)

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a radiator shop solder a hole in mine. They clean it like new, solder the hole, put a nice little sticker on it and give it back to you a day or two later. At a very affordable price. Was a few years back and never leaked again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts