Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. So I bought my used 2017 klr650 with about 4k miles on it about 6 months ago and seem to be super unlucky with having problems with it. After finally fixing some other issues I was super excited to go for a ride. It ran great! I should tell you that all of my riding is paved road at about 40 to 55 mph. When I got home I noticed smoking rising up from under the handlebars and when I got off....antifreeze all over the driveway. Mother effer. Imagine my shock when I looked up the cost of a new radiator online for this "cheap bike" and its $700.

Is there any way to fix this somehow? I've NOT ridden it more than I've been able to ride it since I got it. Any help or words of wisdom you guys could offer would really help. TIA

Video of the problem ---> https:/ /youtu.be/ DSDTmodqnew [delete the spaces and copy the link]

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Ditto R/L's post above.

Also, . . . your friendly local neighborhood RADIATOR SHOP may be able to solder or whatever to fix you radiator.

And then, and then . . . there's the option of the cheap aftermarket (dare I say the word?) CHINESE aftermarket radiators. If you go this route, DO NOT TOUCH the radiator or its packing!

:)

·
Premium Member
7,172 Posts
Hi All. So I bought my used 2017 klr650 with about 4k miles on it about 6 months ago and seem to be super unlucky with having problems with it. After finally fixing some other issues I was super excited to go for a ride. It ran great! I should tell you that all of my riding is paved road at about 40 to 55 mph. When I got home I noticed smoking rising up from under the handlebars and when I got off....antifreeze all over the driveway. Mother effer. Imagine my shock when I looked up the cost of a new radiator online for this "cheap bike" and its $700.

Is there any way to fix this somehow? I've NOT ridden it more than I've been able to ride it since I got it. Any help or words of wisdom you guys could offer would really help. TIA

Video of the problem ---> https:/ /youtu.be/ DSDTmodqnew [delete the spaces and copy the link]
I'll ask, Exactly where is the radiator leaking from and why?

Definitely need more information.

Maybe the coolant reservoir nipple is collaped from exhaust header heating & the radiator cap gasket can not contain 20+ psi of pressure. The heated coolant Has to GO Somewhere!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi -

I had radiator woes so I feel your pain - you may want to clean everything up first and take a good look at all of your hoses and connections. When my radiator started developing leaks at around 50 K and "many" times on the ground, it didn't lose a lot of fluid really fast like you described - it sounds like a busted hose or loose clamp might be the cause, and that's much cheaper too!

If there really is significant damage to your radiator, I'd also recommend Myler's - they do good work and they're very reasonable. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll ask, Exactly where is the radiator leaking from and why?

Definitely need more information.

Maybe the coolant reservoir nipple is collaped from exhaust header heating & the radiator cap gasket can not contain 20+ psi of pressure. The heated coolant Has to GO Somewhere!
Hey there. I included a link to a video showing the problem in my original post. But I had to add some spaces because the forum wasn't letting me add a URL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****UPDATE****

I called Myler's Rad this morning and spoke with a guy names Eric about my problem. I sent him the video and he seems pretty sure that the issue is a stress fracture stemming from a design flaw with the rad. He was super nice and more than confident that they could fix the problem and brace the rad in the spot where the design flaw is. Approx $80 before shipping so that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up about this place. I'll update once I get the rad taken off the bike and shipped. Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts