Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought my KLR (650) from a short person who had installed lowering links, a shortened side stand and changed the front springs.

I've since installed the stock rear suspension links and stock side stand, But the bike still feels too low (on a flat surface the side stand isn't taking much weight at all).

I'm trying to work out what fork springs I have, and whether they were changed to lower the bike or simply as an upgrade.

Looking inside the forks, I have 3 inch plastic spacers above the springs which makes me think they could be from Progressive Suspension.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can be sure what springs I have?
Does anyone know the length of the progressive suspension springs so I can compare?

Any further ideas to raise the bike to get that side stand nice and stable?
Preloading the fork springs with larger spacers maybe?

·
Registered
541 Posts
You didn't mention where the forks were in the triple. Usually when someone lowers the rear, they need to lower the front. That's done via the forks in the triple. The caps on my stock KLR forks are flush with the triple.

Your 2011 and my 2016 have the same specs. Ground clearance is 8.3 inches. If you're not really sure it's low, take an unladen/level measurement from the center rear bolt of the right footpeg and compare to mine: 10.25 inches.

I can't help identifying springs. Progressive does have spacers in their kit, but a lot of people put spacers in these non-adjusting stock forks (usually pvc pipe). All that does is advance the compression stage, nothing to height.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slightly embarrassed that I didn't think of that. The forks indeed protrude about an inch above the triple.
Thanks Bill10!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts