Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all!
Mike here, owner of Waypoint Adventure Products. I just wanted to drop a line to say Hi and to let all the Gen 1 KLR riders out there what we have developed for our beloved
Gen 1's. This is a pic of my '99 KLR I call Holly. She is mostly stock with the exception of our Dakar Fairing, topographical graphic and Dakar Dash. You can find more information on our website at www.waypointadventureproducts.ca or hit me up here with a question or comment. Ride On!

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, I am very pleased with the project.

As of now we are only manufacturing the fairings in black, mainly to accommodate the majority of the community and to keep initial costs down. We prototyped a white and blue fairing as seen here mostly for testing purposes. Our black fairings come with a UV protective coating which means no painting or surface prep is required. Our colour prototypes don't have the UV coating.

We are still developing the rear fender/tail light assembly. Currently working on selecting a good quality light and fabricating a solid bracket to hold it all together. We are a small outfit and we take our time to get it right before we offer anything to the community. Do you like it?

We plan to develop products for the Gen 2 soon as well. I am hoping this rear fender and light kit will fit both bikes. I think it's fair to say both generations can use some help out back.

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fairing alone is $600?
Looks good but that’s a tough sell to KLR owners.
Outside of this forum the few Gen1’s I see are clapped out, budget bikes.
Thank you for the complement.

You are not wrong but there are many Gen 1 owners that see the value and have chosen to make the upgrade. Please note that the $600 price tag on our website is Canadian dollars which is under $450 of your greenbacks. Also consider if you where planning on buying a complete set new same old stuff aftermarket plastics for the front for your Gen 1 KLR you would be in for about $300 USD. For $150 more you get a totally new look and improved wind protection. Also note you would still be reusing your old windshield on that new OEM style headlight cowl.

Just say'n...LOL.

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple threads up they are working on. I didn't see one but it needs a Mounting Bar for the electronics. I would love to do something like this (Gen 2 is pretty ugly - Sorry Blu) but $600 goes along way on other more performance related upgrades
Agreed on all fronts but our Dakar Fairing is pretty amazing. It totally makes your bike faster...lol.

Please note $600 is in Canadian funds. We are based north of the boarder.

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll be interested in a Gen 2 version as I just like the look of the bike with it ….

How much is the engine skid plate version going to be to complete the look approx ?????

Thx
Thanks, We have had a lot of inquires about a Gen 2 fairing. Definintly on the horizon.

We are still working out the design and manufacturing cost for the Skid Plate, price TBD but we intend to be competitive on the market.

Thanks for the interest.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, We have had a lot of inquires about a Gen 2 fairing. Definintly on the horizon.

We are still working out the design and manufacturing cost for the Skid Plate, price TBD but we intend to be competitive on the market.

Thanks for the interest.
My fairing kit should be waiting for me when I get home, as long as the usps came through! Pretty excited to put it on. Ill probably be interested in the decal, dash, and skid plate when they come out. Any thoughts on mounting a gps unit behind the fairing on the kit?

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My fairing kit should be waiting for me when I get home, as long as the usps came through! Pretty excited to put it on. Ill probably be interested in the decal, dash, and skid plate when they come out. Any thoughts on mounting a gps unit behind the fairing on the kit?
Fantastic!
The dash and decal kits should be available before the spring. What I did to mount my phone on the prototype Dakar Dash was install a RAM ball and used a Quad Lock mount with the vibration dampener attachment. The Dakar Dash will be sold as one solid surface with a powder coated satin black finish. You will be able to mount what you want where you want.

See example below...

The skid plate still is in development, we intend to have fit both Gen 1 and Gen 2 bikes. Possibly a late 2023 release but hard to say for sure right now.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Sports equipment Automotive exterior

· Registered
2 Posts
Fantastic!
The dash and decal kits should be available before the spring. What I did to mount my phone on the prototype Dakar Dash was install a RAM ball and used a Quad Lock mount with the vibration dampener attachment. The Dakar Dash will be sold as one solid surface with a powder coated satin black finish. You will be able to mount what you want where you want.

See example below...

The skid plate still is in development, we intend to have fit both Gen 1 and Gen 2 bikes. Possibly a late 2023 release but hard to say for sure right now.

View attachment 38423
The kit is here! Will probably install tonight. Excited for the dash, it looks good and I think would be perfect for what I need. Have you guys made any prototypes on the skid plate yet? The pictures of it look pretty sweet, love how it all ties together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The kit is here! Will probably install tonight. Excited for the dash, it looks good and I think would be perfect for what I need. Have you guys made any prototypes on the skid plate yet? The pictures of it look pretty sweet, love how it all ties together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great!
I hope the instalation went well. We have made version P1 of the skid plate. While it resembles our original concept some changes are required to fit better. We also need to trail test to insure its up for the job before we go into production.

Instagram @waypointadventureproducts and waypointadventureproducts.ca are the best places to follow our progress.

Thanks again for the support.

Mike

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I expect it will. The rear of the Tengai appears to be identical to the KLR 650C which we based our design. We hope to have the rear fender and tail light kit available in 2023 but the date is still TBD.

Thank you for the interest.
Mike

· Registered
2022 ABS Traveler- Orange
196 Posts
I ran across the Dakar fairing on ADV rider forum & posted about your product a few months ago, best of luck!

You should consider making a gen3 fairing in tandem with gen2, it would certainly make your products more relevant with the 2022 & 2023 models just coming out. Check out this post, I think a readily available rally dash/setup would spark some interest in the KLR world.

Reactions: Waypoint ADV

· Registered
62 Posts
Thank you for the complement.

You are not wrong but there are many Gen 1 owners that see the value and have chosen to make the upgrade. Please note that the $600 price tag on our website is Canadian dollars which is under $450 of your greenbacks. Also consider if you where planning on buying a complete set new same old stuff aftermarket plastics for the front for your Gen 1 KLR you would be in for about $300 USD. For $150 more you get a totally new look and improved wind protection. Also note you would still be reusing your old windshield on that new OEM style headlight cowl.

Just say'n...LOL.
I think I might be exactly the market demographic you guys are hoping for. Three are a lot of us who have owned KLR's, tried other bikes and (1200 GS, Honda 250L). I decided to go with one bike and I wanted another KLR. Had gen 2's and I liked the looks and feel of gen 1 much better. I watch the used bikes for sale on social media sites every day and have for a couple of years. Gen 1's in decent shape don't last long and if there in good shape are commanding a premium price. I've got a taller windshiled on mine but really like your rally fairing. I've got a friends gen 1 in my garage right now that has the "wedge" faring mod to create a dash space. Have you noticed any difference in "head shake" with your when at highway speeds? Love the design and your skid plates look awesome too. I know the price point won't be for everyone but I think there's a lot of us out there now, and more on the way, that will spend the cash. Thanks and good luck!

· Registered
1999 KLR 650
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I might be exactly the market demographic you guys are hoping for. Three are a lot of us who have owned KLR's, tried other bikes and (1200 GS, Honda 250L). I decided to go with one bike and I wanted another KLR. Had gen 2's and I liked the looks and feel of gen 1 much better. I watch the used bikes for sale on social media sites every day and have for a couple of years. Gen 1's in decent shape don't last long and if there in good shape are commanding a premium price. I've got a taller windshiled on mine but really like your rally fairing. I've got a friends gen 1 in my garage right now that has the "wedge" faring mod to create a dash space. Have you noticed any difference in "head shake" with your when at highway speeds? Love the design and your skid plates look awesome too. I know the price point won't be for everyone but I think there's a lot of us out there now, and more on the way, that will spend the cash. Thanks and good luck!
Thank you for expressing your perspective. We believe there is a fresh group of KLR owners that see what the original has to offer. Everything a T7 has minus the horsepower...lol. We are offering updated retro rally style with improved wind protection for your budget friendly adventure bike. Our Dakar Fairing isn't "cheap"...has anyone priced out replacement plastic for the front-end of your KLR recently? For a bit more you have the opportunity to improve your bikes style and performance. I have always taken pride in my bikes and the way they look make me feel better.
Also to answer your head shake question, wind protection is better but not as good as a full look through touring screen. In 2023 we plan to try one of those clip on extensions to see how it preforms.

Thanks for the interest and support.
Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts