Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always looking to learn from others experiences... What have you hit, how fast were you going, how did you respond, and what was the outcome?

I hit a rabbit around midnight on a country road while traveling at 65-70. Almost no reaction time, just enough to tighten my grip and decide not to swerve or avoid it. I'm glad bunnies are soft! A little bump and that was it. But it sure brought me out of my comfort zone, and I'm glad it did. Lots of deer and coyotes where I ride and it could have been much worse.

What have you hit?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Funny how a skunk blends right in at night on a heavily tar patched road... Until it moves.

Managed to just hit it in the head, no spray. This was after about 700 miles in the saddle that day, and on the way to camp that night. All day, I'd been hating the heat, the humidity, and the rain, little did I know my luck would change.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've never hit anything....I am interested in this thread because dogs/deer/ect scare me.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Riding to work one dark morning through my sub division something small and furry ran out right between my front and back wheel.

There was a thud/squish from my rear wheel. It was dark so I didn't get a good look at it. Thought about turning around to have a look but figured if it was someone's cat it was dead anyway.

Called my wife later and asked her to do a drive by! Turned out it was a rabbit.

Steferf don't be scared of deers, you just get back up and go!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
The worst was a dead skunk. Smelly. One time I got to work (teaching), my students sat down and said, 'Um, why are your pants covered in blood?'

Sure enough, from about the knee down...mostly on the left leg. I have no idea what I hit, didn't even feel it.

Deer scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ran right through a chicken one day at about 80.. But on a gsxr. What do you do? No time to slow down. The whole time my wife was hollering " you hit that chicken what you gonna do?!?!".. I said hell I guess somebody gonna have chicken tonight!😜

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Deer poop

The stuff on his leg looks like deer poop to me. At least that is what it looked like when I hit a deer.
Nasty crash. Too bad he wasn't wearing more protective gear.
Hope everything worked out okay?:t1204:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Don't know if this will help anyone but when I took the STAYIN Safe course, the topic came up. Their instruction was:"if it fits in a skillet-kill it". And yeah always watch for the other deer...my worst was a possum at night-almost fell, but didn't.

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
As noted by the above-posted meme, the only things I've run over/hit are squirrels, snakes and also flying birds. After getting hit in the face by a dove, when I ride home at night now I worry more about hitting a big owl than a deer. That small bird felt like somebody hit me in the eye with a baseball bat and left me with a black eye. No more riding with my faceshield up after that encounter, no matter how hot it is.

I think hitting a large, flying owl at 60mph could easily result in an injury/loss of control and the things are thick around here. I see about one or two a week fly across the road in front of me on a lighted parkway. Out in the darkness, you'd never see one coming from the side until it hit you, or you hit it, depending on how you look at it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I've never hit anything big with my bikes, but I have hit 3 deer over the years with my cars and trucks... All the ones I hit were at dawn and dusk. Caught one bad enough that it did $4500 damage to my S-10 pickup I had at the time. Scariest part is that all 3 bolted from the ditch/bush and weren't seen in time to evade or brake. I have nightmares about hitting one with the bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
:animal0019:

I hit an adult black lab at 35mph....in the rain. Going through a part of town were there is just a narrow sidewalk between the street and the buildings. Pouring rain and the dog came out from an alley between two buildings at a dead run perpendicular to my direction. It appeared so close to me I barely had time to mentally register "dog" before I hit it.

I hit it with my front wheel around it's shoulders and it's momentum nearly sent me into the other lane and started a vicious tankslapper than took me half a block to get under control. I know I rolled over it with the front wheel but don't remember if I hit it with the back or not.

I managed to ride out the tankslapper (good grip on bars but loose arms, throttle up) and rode on. It was still pouring (roads flooding) so I didn't stop. A few miles later on my way up the mountain I got surprised by downed trees in two consecutive blind curves. Luckily I wasn't flying due to the rain and they weren't huge (10" diameter maybe) so I was able to hit the brakes and straighten up, then pop over them with little drama. Worst commute I've had to date.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ran over a partially squished fawn deer last week on my Vee Strom at about 4:45 am. Bump bump.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seen plenty Bambis on the forest roads, passing in front or behind me - luckily haven't hit one.

My worst near-accident (other than a flat tire on morning commute in traffic!) was also on my morning commute, just rounding the FSU stadium (same place as the tire blow-out..... hmmm...) and suddnely as I'm in the long right turn, I am into a LOT of greasy burger trash! A pickup truck close behind me, and I know if I go down, I get plowed!! Major pucker factor as I manage to keep the skidding and sliding KLR upright, and finally clear of the greasy junk!

I did nail a Geico Squirrel once too - I do NOT veer for small critters. His bad..... :(

Nailed my landlord's dumb dog once, driving my old 4X4 truck early one morning going to work. Silly mutt was laying down in a washout on the dirt road. Had he hunkered down, he'd be okay. He tried to get up, and I couldn't stop. BUMP!!
LL later asked around if anybody had seen his pooch - I disavowed any knowledge.....
Two weeks later the dog was back - NOT in the road. Reckon it rung his bell good. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts