Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 KLR 650. I have been experiencing loss of coolant (no leaks) and an occasional foggy sit glass with the occasional hard starts and stinky exhaust indicating I have coolant making it’s way into the combustion chamber. That’s one problem. Then I lay it down gentle (5mph) and bent the gear lever. Upon rising, I felt/heard something as I changed gears and pulled home. Now, I have a strange rattle in the upper rpm range and I feel severe resistance at these higher rpms as I ride. Motorcycle has 12500 miles and I’m the third owner as of 2 weeks ago. Here’s a video of the sound. P.S. I am in consideration of tearing down to replace head gasket and possibly do the 685 to clean out parts. *Doo hickey has not been done KLR 650 2012 Top End Noise

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
I do not believe that that vibrating buzz is from the internals of the engine.

Could be from loose exhaust heat shield, loose engine mounts, loose skid plate, missing 1/4" spacers between upper fairing and the side shrouds, aftermarket dash parts, etc, etc

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,471 Posts
Note how Paul diagnosed that problem based on your recording. He was able to hear the difference between the sharper and “tinny” sound of something outside the engine, versus a duller sound if it was coming from inside the engine. Learn those differences in sounds. You’ll use that knowledge again.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Thanks PeteK.

Now as to coolant leakage. Are you looking in the Radiator or only in the coolant reservoir, chittum1337?
My bike had a crack in the coolant reservoir. Once the reservoir level dropped below the crack, no more coolant loss.

You need to pressure & vacuum test the Main cooling system thru the radiator overflow nipple next to the cap, before you start tearing things apart blindly!

Have you checked all of the cooling hose clamps?
A foggy oil level window could simply be too many short runs in too cool of weather!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts