Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:

I have a 2001 KLR 650 with 12,000 miles on it. When it is idling cold, it sounds fine. But after 45 minutes of hard riding, and brought to idle, it sounds like it has a bicycle chain being dragged over a coffee can inside of it. I am not sure if it is a cam chain adjuster issue or if it is a broken doohickey or maybe a weak doohickey spring.
I have adjusted the doohickey several times both with a hot and cold engine but it makes no difference in the sound. Any ideas on what this might be or how to analyze this problem? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sounds like the Doohickey isn't doing it's job. Either a broken spring or doo..
What you're hearing is the chain grinding on the inside of the case as centrifical force throws it outwards against the case while running at speed.

If it were mine, I wouldn't ride it until you open the case to verify the noise. No reason to ruin a perfectly good bike, but that's me.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I agree with Paper. If it were me....

I'd lean the bike over on its right side against a wall or something. 45 degrees is more than enough. Pull the left side cover CAREFULLY. I have not needed to replace the gasket on one of those covers YET...

Loosen the doohickey bolt and see if it moves, is broken, spring trashed, etc. If either of the components is broken [doohickey or spring], when you tried to adjust the doohickey by loosing the bolt at the bottom of the left side cover, you removed whatever tension was on the chain. That may be the reason you hear noise where you didn't hear noise before. If the doo is in one piece, you might try manually taking the slack up and re-tightening the doohickey bolt until you get a replacement.

And welcome to the forum Patrick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts