Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought tank and engine guards a couple of weeks ago from a nice guy up in Washington State a couple of weeks ago for $230, including the shipping cost. (He got 'em to me in only like 3 days, though he said it might take 2 weeks.)

They come with folding hi-way foot-pegs on 'em and are laminated with some type of black paint. They'll be adding 15 pounds to the bike, which includes the hardware, of course.:33a:

They feel and look to be of quality construction, though the foot-pegs themselves don't look super-duper in that regard, but good enough. My question is do you think the added heft and what these things cost was worth it? Would you put 'em on your bike?

The salesman pointed out that a little extra weight up front helps the bike maintain better control in windy conditions when traveling down the Interstate.

I wonder too how those hi-way pegs are going to workout? Should be interesting!:35a:

As always, thanks for your time!!:)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about the weight.. The front of my bike is wearing a radiator guard, forward pegs with a tool tube mounted below it (with heavy tools in it), a tank bag, tank panniers, and a bag on the front fender with a couple waterproof items in it..

And the forward pegs are very handy for just changing your position when on the bike for extended periods of time..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be concerned about the weight.. The front of my bike is wearing a radiator guard, forward pegs with a tool tube mounted below it (with heavy tools in it), a tank bag, tank panniers, and a bag on the front fender with a couple waterproof items in it..

And the forward pegs are very handy for just changing your position when on the bike for extended periods of time..
That's all good to know, thanks!!:)

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Full disclosure: I have HT PD nerfs/engine guard/highway pegs/bash plate installed on my '07 KLR650.

Weight, on this 400-pound rig, is of no further consequence, IMHO.

While I've been no particular fan of highway pegs, because in my view use of these pegs limits vigilance and delays response time to the controls, after a 3-day ride of the southern Appalahians through parts of NC/TN/GA, I must conclude: THEY HAVE THEIR PLACE!

Specifically, highway pegs can relieve leg cramping on long trips. One can't actuate foot controls at all, if those lower extremities are PARALYZED from cramps or having, "gone to sleep."

So, for long-distance touring, I shall not knock highway pegs.

BTW, if you're installing HT nerfs on a pre-'08, put the upper left nerf's bolt through from the RIGHT side of the frame; then, you can access the radiator cap by simply removing one 10 mm nut and hinging the nerf away (rather than removing the entire bolt and having to spear the hole upon reassembly.)

Guess where we are:

Some bikes on the ride; "Bikezilla," 1800 cc V-Twin Honda at left; proud and valiant KLR650 in center:

·
Registered
663 Posts
AT,
There junk and far too heavy for the front of your bike…. You should box them up and send them directly to me so I can put them on my bike….. UUUmmm I mean “So I can discard them properly” :11a:

You will love them, I am willing to bet six months from now you will be adding more….?
Crazy Jake

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AT,
There junk and far too heavy for the front of your bike…. You should box them up and send them directly to me so I can put them on my bike….. UUUmmm I mean “So I can discard them properly” :11a:

You will love them, I am willing to bet six months from now you will be adding more….?
Crazy Jake
For a second, you scared me there, buddy!:50:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full disclosure: I have HT PD nerfs/engine guard/highway pegs/bash plate installed on my '07 KLR650.

Weight, on this 400-pound rig, is of no further consequence, IMHO.

While I've been no particular fan of highway pegs, because in my view use of these pegs limits vigilance and delays response time to the controls, after a 3-day ride of the southern Appalahians through parts of NC/TN/GA, I must conclude: THEY HAVE THEIR PLACE!

Specifically, highway pegs can relieve leg cramping on long trips. One can't actuate foot controls at all, if those lower extremities are PARALYZED from cramps or having, "gone to sleep."

So, for long-distance touring, I shall not knock highway pegs.

BTW, if you're installing HT nerfs on a pre-'08, put the upper left nerf's bolt through from the RIGHT side of the frame; then, you can access the radiator cap by simply removing one 10 mm nut and hinging the nerf away (rather than removing the entire bolt and having to spear the hole upon reassembly.)

Guess where we are:

Some bikes on the ride; "Bikezilla," 1800 cc V-Twin Honda at left; proud and valiant KLR650 in center:

That's great to know!:)

Thanks for sharing all of that!:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found the invoice

Cleaning through some of the mess around here, I stumble on the invoice and it says that I paid $208.17.

A fellow at KLR650DOTcom named "Kelly" sold them to me (and hope it's okay that I give out said info in here).

Btw, that included the shipping.:animal0019:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm useing the HT nerf, engine guard, skid plat combo and also thought the hiway pegs were cheap and flemsey. My solution was to put on a set of $20 ebay cleated pegs and use my OEM pegs for the hiway pegs. This works well for me for little extra cost.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Cleaning through some of the mess around here, I stumble on the invoice and it says that I paid $208.17.

A fellow at KLR650DOTcom named "Kelly" sold them to me (and hope it's okay that I give out said info in here).

Btw, that included the shipping.:animal0019:
No problems on this forum reporting who and where you get your stuff. Personally, I've had no problems with any item or order from KLR650.com. They have a pretty good tech support staff, or so it seems so far. When I asked where and by whom certain items were manufactured, the information was forth coming. They are suppliers on the other end of that phone line, not engineers or shop technicians. It seems they have a working knowledge of most of their offerings. No more or no less than the other distributors out there that hawk their wares. I would invite anyone to call bikebandit.com or ronayers.com, and press the order taker for technical application information. You will enter phone hell, waiting for the tech dept. to finish cleaning the bathroom stalls and then taking your call.

If you have a bad experience with a vendor, we all need to know about it.

If your experience was good, I think it helpful to pass that information on as well.

KLR650.com has been useful to this forum, in as much as it includes us in their contact links. They had other choices, and thought enough of us that we are first billing on their link page.

http://klr650.com/Links.htm

They support us and the growth of this forum. Be rather hypocritical to bad mouth the efforts of someone helping you, ya think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problems on this forum reporting who and where you get your stuff. Personally, I've had no problems with any item or order from KLR650.com. They have a pretty good tech support staff, or so it seems so far. When I asked where and by whom certain items were manufactured, the information was forth coming. They are suppliers on the other end of that phone line, not engineers or shop technicians. It seems they have a working knowledge of most of their offerings. No more or no less than the other distributors out there that hawk their wares. I would invite anyone to call bikebandit.com or ronayers.com, and press the order taker for technical application information. You will enter phone hell, waiting for the tech dept. to finish cleaning the bathroom stalls and then taking your call.

If you have a bad experience with a vendor, we all need to know about it.

If your experience was good, I think it helpful to pass that information on as well.

KLR650.com has been useful to this forum, in as much as it includes us in their contact links. They had other choices, and thought enough of us that we are first billing on their link page.

http://klr650.com/Links.htm

They support us and the growth of this forum. Be rather hypocritical to bad mouth the efforts of someone helping you, ya think?

Thanks Much! I'm breathing a sigh of relief now!:15:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Thanks Much! I'm breathing a sigh of relief now!:15:
I wasn't TRYING to be obscure, Alvin!

I just wanted to say, you can post, " http://www.klr650.com " or whatever here, on this forum, and . . . it will NOT come out, ' xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " as happens on the nameless forum, if the vendor has not passed that forum administrator's saliva test!

Fear not, disclosing sources, here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't TRYING to be obscure, Alvin!

I just wanted to say, you can post, " http://www.klr650.com " or whatever here, on this forum, and . . . it will NOT come out, ' xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx " as happens on the nameless forum, if the vendor has not passed that forum administrator's saliva test!

Fear not, disclosing sources, here.
It's not a problem; I've already forgiven you!:46::50::64a::character00268::character00271::12a::)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Happy Trails PD Nerf bars on my 09. They were straight when I got them but they're pretty wrecked now. I always forget that the KLR isn't a motocross bike. That said, if I didn't have them I'd be buying a whole lot of new parts and probably not riding a KLR anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts