Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an overnight ride this past weekend i was cleaning up the bike and notice that it looks like something is leaking from the rear axle on the left (sprocket) side. The leak is visible on the hub (not sure if this is the correct term, but im trying to identify the hour glass shaped black thing that the axel goes through)

Are the wheel bearings lubricated and if so is it possible for them to wear out after 6000 miles? Any other ideas as to what might be leaking? what ever it is it's a very slow leak.

I will research it in my clymers manual tonight but wanted to probe here

thanks

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
The bearing are greased from the factory. They usually have a seal on the outside but are open on the inside. I believe the rear wheel will have three bearings in there, two on the sprocket side.

However I would tend to say you may be seeing chain lube versus bearing grease leakage. A bearing should last a lot longer than 6000 miles. Have you been running in any deep water?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No water crossings at all. thats what threw me, its also been dry here in seattle so the bike hasn't been wet. I assume its bearing grease seeping out, but I didn't think sealed bearings should leak.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to remove the rear wheel and have a look. That takes about five minutes. The bearings aren't entirely sealed both sides. They are open to the inside of the wheel. When I replace bearings I put in sealed both sides.

Take the wheel off, remove the spacers and have a look. Put your finger in the bearing center and turn it trying to feel for dry or rough spots. Bearings are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Buy from a bearing supply house rather than the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts