Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008; Is there any benefit to installing the rear axle from the right side? I know it comes from the factory with the cotter pin on the right side. Is there a right or wrong answer or proven technique that anyone has?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I install my axles from the right side. I find it easier to deal with the caliper holder that way plus on the SS it's 'uphill' :) Make sure to grease the axle!

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
There is the official way as noted in the manual.

Here in the real world it doesn't matter one single bit.
I've never even seen a nut turn far enough to touch the cotter pin.

Legal disclaimer: Don't listen to my advice and slide it from the left
as stated by Kawasaki for safety purposes.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
2008; Is there any benefit to installing the rear axle from the right side? I know it comes from the factory with the cotter pin on the right side. Is there a right or wrong answer or proven technique that anyone has?

I'm thinking it's a right handed vs. left handed thang. When the nut is on the right side you use your right hand to tighten/loosen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Speaking of which, my cotter pin is half broken from the last time I took it out. Does anyone use something else (garage leftovers of any kind) vs buying a new pin?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Speaking of which, my cotter pin is half broken from the last time I took it out. Does anyone use something else (garage leftovers of any kind) vs buying a new pin?
Thanks.
Generically speaking this is a hitch pin. Got it at Tractor Supply. Used a small zip tie at the end for extra security.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I use a reusable pin too but it's shaped different than Paper's.

Mine's shaped like a fire extinguisher pull-pin but I cannot
remember the name of the stoopid thing. It's the most common one, tho.
Ya see 'em holding on garage door openers to the center track, lawnmower handles, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Generically speaking this is a hitch pin. Got it at Tractor Supply. Used a small zip tie at the end for extra security.

Very cool. That looks solid. I'll have to try to find a tractor supply place.:)

CheapBTurd: where did you buy yours? just a hardware store?

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Tom, I really like that !!! Did you have to drill the hole larger to fit? What I was looking for was something / anything re-usable. I hate cotter pins with a passion.

BTW. Just what were they thinking with the chain adjustment markings?

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
flash-

No drilling was necessary; I think it was a 3/16" pin. It fits very well. It's in the bin drawers at Lowe's/Home Despot.

Now, what WERE they thinking on the alingnment marks? Beats the crap outta me!

Tom

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Thanks.

Has anybody ever had the pin bound up from the axle nut moving? Anyone? Bueller?

I haven't, I do use locktite on the nut. My other bikes don't have a safety pin on the rear axle (and why not the front as well if there's some sort of hazard).

I'm thinking it's a lawyer thing and I'm (gulp) running without one, ohh... yea danger is my middle name, well actually it's William but you know... :35a:

·
Administrator
8,282 Posts
Has anybody ever had the pin bound up from the axle nut moving? Anyone? Bueller?...
Nope, not ever.

Ferris

·
Registered
127 Posts
Has anybody ever had the pin bound up from the axle nut moving? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm thinking it's a lawyer thing and I'm (gulp) running without one, ohh... yea danger is my middle name, well actually it's William but you know... :35a:
I have bad luck in life, and if something odd/unlikely to happen happens - it happens to me. So, having learned through life, I try to play by the rules. :ashamed0001:

I'll try to find Tom's solution at HD/Lowe's - it looks pretty solid.
I just don't know where there is a tractor parts store around here for the other 'part'. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's not a tractor parts store. It's just a hardware/farm store that's named Tractor Supply..

http://www.tractorsupply.com/

There's a bunch of them in Maine.. And they'd have the Lynch Pins that Tom uses, too.

Sounds like a perfect excuse for a road trip!!:)
AWESOME! Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for the URL. :) And you're right - it's definitely a good reason for a ride!! :26a:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts