Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have new rear brake pads but can not get them installed. I removed the caliper, installed the new pads but couldn't get a space for the rotor to fit between the pads.
I think the piston was completely compressed in.

I have spent much time searching the forum for help but all I can find are reports of changing the rear pads simply and easily. Anyone have any tips or tricks that I may be missing? Do I have to bleed the rear brakes to change pads? How is bleeding them done?
:46:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Hi,
I have new rear brake pads but can not get them installed. I removed the caliper, installed the new pads but couldn't get a space for the rotor to fit between the pads.
I think the piston was completely compressed in.

I have spent much time searching the forum for help but all I can find are reports of changing the rear pads simply and easily. Anyone have any tips or tricks that I may be missing? Do I have to bleed the rear brakes to change pads? How is bleeding them done?
:46:
Hi Lizardrider. Welcome aboard. GENTLY work a flat edge screwdriver between the pads and GENTLY pry them apart. Re-install the caliper. Make sure you work the brake pedal until you get a solid brake pedal again. Or your next post will "parts wanted". Now might be a real good time to change your brake fluid, too. Brake fluid absorbs water, lowering the boiling point of the fluid that actuates your brakes. that water that collects in there can turn to steam, leaving an absence of fluid to work your brakes. You go boom. Avoidable. I understand you are aKLR rider, but buy a little bit better brake fluid than what is offered at the Dollar General Store. A type 4 is adequate.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Lizardrider. Welcome aboard. GENTLY work a flat edge screwdriver between the pads and GENTLY pry them apart. Re-install the caliper. Make sure you work the brake pedal until you get a solid brake pedal again. Or your next post will "parts wanted". Now might be a real good time to change your brake fluid, too. Brake fluid absorbs water, lowering the boiling point of the fluid that actuates your brakes. that water that collects in there can turn to steam, leaving an absence of fluid to work your brakes. You go boom. Avoidable. I understand you are aKLR rider, but buy a little bit better brake fluid than what is offered at the Dollar General Store. A type 4 is adequate.

[/QUOTE +1 on that one

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I might wrap a rag around the screwdriver before you start prying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the info and the tips and link. I was leery about prying the pads apart and glad I didn't use all my force to! I will let you know how the install goes.

My beaten and bruised Thumper may not look great but it runs great and gets all the care and attn it needs....including quality parts and products!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts