Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on a 300ish mile ride that my rear brake was sticking when I used it. Looking at it, I can see that the spring that goes from the brake arm up to what appears to be wiring for the brake lights isnt pulling the brake arm back up.But is that spring actually responsible for putting the brake arm back in its position? Or is my problem possibly in the caliper or master cylinder?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It's not the spring. That just works the break light (I have bailing wire in place right now because I'm cheap and lazy). The caliper is real easy to take off - just don't let it hang on it's weight. Use a zip tie or something. No stress in the line. My guess is you'll know then.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Your brake lever is not broken. It is actually hard to break. You won't go broke trying to fix your brake, but you can break a finger working on your brakes.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

To your question!

The rear brake lever has a helical spring that is wrapped around the pivot boss. If your brake lever is sagging or not returning, then that spring is either weak, missing, or the brake lever was not installed correctly by a previous owner or mechanic.

That spring you are seeing activates the brake light switch and has nothing to do with returning the lever.

Now, can you be more specific bout what you mean when you say your brakes are sticking? Are the pads dragging on the caliper? If so, that's an indication that the caliper needs to be worked on.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i press the rear brake, it doesnt return outward by itself. So yea, the pads are sticking to the disc, BUT, if i stick my toe under the brake arm (lever) and pull it upward, it releases the brakes.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
It sounds like the helical spring is weak, broken, missing, or misadjusted.

Tom

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
It sounds like the helical spring is weak, broken, missing, or misadjusted.

Tom
Or, perhaps, the brake pedal is BENT and rubbing against the case or other obstacle, preventing its ready return to its rest position . . .

Think I may have had a similar situation once, caused by loose foot peg bolts . . . no, I don't remember exactly how that happened . . . just . . . the brake pedal wasn't free to return upward upon release of foot pressure . . .

·
Registered
65 Posts
the shaft that the brake lever rides on rusted almost immediately on my 2011. Take it apart( not the caliper) clean and lube.
Allan

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Now that it seems to be a problem with the brake lever operation I have two thoughts.

Make sure the return spring for the lever is properly installed and lubricate the pivot point of the pedal. This stopped my brake dragging last week. I just unscrewed the bolt in the center of the pivot point and moved the lever out just a little without taking it off or undoing the spring and added a little oil. 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650EBF) Brake Pedal | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation

If that doesn't fix it, adjust the yoke at the back of the brake lever so the lever has to go down a little farther to operate the brake. That will cause the spring to move farther and have more return force to return the pedal a little farther. 2011 Kawasaki KLR650 (KL650EBF) Rear Master Cylinder | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
As has been said check the pivot. When I lube my chain I usually give the brake pivot a shot of chain lube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts