Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 13K on my 05KLR and just replaced the stock rear pads last month and they are already junk. I can not stop the bike with the rear brake only unless I really step on that pedal and it will not lock up the rear tire. I have a stainless line, bleed, rotor is in spec, clean, etc. I just can not get any bite out of the rears. Front pads still look near new and I use that 95% of the time since my rears are so poor. Ran w/out my rear for 8K miles before I put in pads last month.

Seems like all the hype on the 320mm front rotor upgrade while cool and all, there needs to be some attention in the aftermarket for the rear

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I can lock the rear on my A18. I do have to push hard on the pedel, but you would expect that.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just replaced both front and rear pads and put on new D606's. It was quite spongy for about 100 miles on the rear but now I can drag those big knobs on the rear pretty quick. Sounds like maybe you have some contamination on the pads? I got grease everwhere when I changed mine out and cleaned up the pads and rotor with brake cleaner in a spray can with the tiny straw for concentrated aiming. Seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
X6_Hustler said:
I just replaced both front and rear pads and put on new D606's. It was quite spongy for about 100 miles on the rear but now I can drag those big knobs on the rear pretty quick. Sounds like maybe you have some contamination on the pads? I got grease everwhere when I changed mine out and cleaned up the pads and rotor with brake cleaner in a spray can with the tiny straw for concentrated aiming. Seemed to work fine.
That'd be the general consencious that it's dirty. I cleaned the caliper with brake clean as well as the rotor. Gripped great for the first week, now it's back to junk. For $25 for pads I want them to last longer than a month. I ride too much. :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GreenGene said:
Which pads are you using now, Bones?
Have to look when I get home. Got them at the stealer. Figured any brand would be better than stock. Guess not. Kills me that the front is like new still and it gets used a lot and pretty hard.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I might suggest you try a set of Galfer Black pads on the rear. I bet you'll like 'em. They give more than enough bite for me. If you still want more, their Green or HH pads will give it but they each have a tradeoff. The Greens won't last as long and the HH will wear the rotor faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also check to make sure the rear pads are installed correctly. When I changed my tire a couple months ago I had one of the pads in a bind and had symptoms very similar to what you are describing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 for Galfer pads. I've got em one my bike and have been happy with them so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had the same problem, unable to lock it up, and weak rear brake.

changed from Galfer to ???? i'll get the name. problem solved.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I didn't think my rear would lock up either... pretty weak. That is until I had a panic stop and I must have hit the rear pedal just right! It stopped the wheel quick like and wouldn't let go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same here Bikerscout, except mine was on my driver's test and it did let go. The lady giving the test kind of chuckled and passed me anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Running EBC green, my rear locks up quite easily. A tiny brake tap entering a turn on dirt will induce some oversteer nicely. If anything it's too easy to lock the rear. I just wish i had a front brake to match, i see a big rotor kit in my future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
IndianaKLR said:
Also check to make sure the rear pads are installed correctly. When I changed my tire a couple months ago I had one of the pads in a bind and had symptoms very similar to what you are describing.
At one of my KLR tech days, a rider who felt his rear brake was behaving poorly brought it down to us to look at. Turned out that his pads were installed wrong (by a dealer mechanic, IIRC). 5 minutes to diagnose, 5 minutes to laugh and point, and 5 minutes to fix.

"Much better," he decided afterwards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was having trouble pushing my pedal down far enough with my boots on. I installed some big washers on top of my brake pedal and now I have much better feel for the brake and can slide the rear tire.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also keep in mind that yoiu can remount the brake lever at a different angle, and you can adjust the saddle (?) at the back of the brake lever to alter when the pressure is applied to the hydraulic fluid.

Either change might help. My wife's KLR had a bolt-on stainless steel riser on her brake lever. Previous owner put it on, and it seems real nice. Larger brake pad surface, and a bit higher.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any ideas on how to get more pedal feel? The only way i know i'm even touching mine most times is when i'm sideways and off the throttle, i can't feel it through my boots, and i lock it up quite a lot as a result. I can feel it if i'm wearing my skate shoes, and barely with hiking boots, but with my mx boots it's like it's not even there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pads

Bad pads are the definitely the culprit. You should not have to press hard to get complete lockup of the rear wheel. If you can't lock it up easily, change the pads. Mashing the pedal only puts undo pressure on the brake system. Moving your foot for better leverage is not the problem. The brakes should easily lock up the tire from any pressure angle.

I've tried EBC, and Galfer green, and pitched them both in the trash after giving them 500 miles to seat. They never seated at all. In fact, they nearly killed me in a hard braking street situation.

I now pay the premium for the stock Kawi pads, and they work very well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts