Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me start this off. 1996 KLR 650. This past fall the rear brakes were working great. I could at least lock them up on dirt or on grass. This past sping when I started riding i noticed that the rear brakes where not working very well. I know the klr does not have the best brakes to begin with but they would not even slide on wet grass. They felt kind of mushy so I proceded to bleed them. This gave me a little more but not much. They have since gotten worse. So bad I can move the bike with the rear brakes all the way down. I have continued to bleed with no results.

Now here is what I have done so far.
I have replaced the pads. No help
When I replaced the brakes I cleaned and checked the piston to make sure it was moving freely.
I have drained and replaced the brake fulid. No help
I have checked the brake lines and have no leaks.
It seems that air is getting in the system, at least that is what if feels like when you press the pedal.:mad0235:

I have been told by the local shop to rebuild the Master cylinder. They said that these have been know to go bad over time and with my bike being 13 years old it would be a good thing to do. I have found the rebuild kit at oemcycle.com. Is oemcycle a good place to by from?I have also been told that over time the rubber brake lines can give when pressing the brake and to replace the old lines with steel braided ones.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
No advice re the rest of it, but I did the steel brake line. Didn't seem to make any difference. I've pretty much done the rest with no change (I've not rebuilt the mastercylinder).

I've just learned to live with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts