Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are we getting rid of the rear fender/rain guard/plate holder?

I was thinking about buying an universal plate mount with the led blinkers and tail light built in. My main goals are weight reduction and aesthetics. Let's see what you got!

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
I removed mine simply because I didn't like the looks of it. There's nothing to be gained in the way of weight reduction: the assembly weighs about as much as a Burrito Grande, especially sans license plate bracket.

A license plate light is required by law here, but is not part of a state vehicle safety inspection, so I didn't bother with that. I just took off the license plate bracket, reflectors and all, drilled a couple of holes in the fender and moved it up there.

I've had police cars following me at night on more than one occasion. I didn't get pulled over, so this lent some credence to my theory that a motorcycle license plate and the associated light are so small that by the time a vehicle is behind you trying to read the actual numbers on your plate, they're not going to know if there's a light above the plate or not because of the glare of their own headlights and the inherent reflectivity of the plate itself.

I never figured I was a high-value target unless the absence of a plate light was a reason to pull me over for driving drunk and I don't do that. One of the reasons I like the kids that scream around town on sport bikes is that they take the focus off me, the fully-garbed giant in the Day-Glo Yellow jacket on the dual sport riding at or below the speed limit. I'm regarded in about the same light as the 60-year-old woman with varicose veins on the Schwinn in the bicycle lane. "Nothing To See Here: Move Along."

I suppose the responsible approach would be to use one of those illuminated plate frames you mentioned or those illuminated LED bolts.

·
Banned
411 Posts
How are we getting rid of the rear fender/rain guard/plate holder?

I was thinking about buying an universal plate mount with the led blinkers and tail light built in. My main goals are weight reduction and aesthetics. Let's see what you got!
It has been a long time but if I remember right the inner fender is 2 pieces, just unbolt it and take it off. You can plumb license plate lights with those fancy lighted mounting bolts, worked great for me! Here is a pic from a couple of years ago when I swapped my stock fender out for a KXF rear fender.
I really disliked the "cereal box" looking fender too. My bike has gone through a serious metamorphosis since she was stock but a shaved well over 30lbs off her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed mine simply because I didn't like the looks of it. There's nothing to be gained in the way of weight reduction: the assembly weighs about as much as a Burrito Grande, especially sans license plate bracket.

A license plate light is required by law here, but is not part of a state vehicle safety inspection, so I didn't bother with that. I just took off the license plate bracket, reflectors and all, drilled a couple of holes in the fender and moved it up there.

I've had police cars following me at night on more than one occasion. I didn't get pulled over, so this lent some credence to my theory that a motorcycle license plate and the associated light are so small that by the time a vehicle is behind you trying to read the actual numbers on your plate, they're not going to know if there's a light above the plate or not because of the glare of their own headlights and the inherent reflectivity of the plate itself.

I never figured I was a high-value target unless the absence of a plate light was a reason to pull me over for driving drunk and I don't do that. One of the reasons I like the kids that scream around town on sport bikes is that they take the focus off me, the fully-garbed giant in the Day-Glo Yellow jacket on the dual sport riding at or below the speed limit. I'm regarded in about the same light as the 60-year-old woman with varicose veins on the Schwinn in the bicycle lane. "Nothing To See Here: Move Along."

I suppose the responsible approach would be to use one of those illuminated plate frames you mentioned or those illuminated LED bolts.
I just did the same thing. Was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I took off my plate light too, I doubt I'll get any slack over it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has been a long time but if I remember right the inner fender is 2 pieces, just unbolt it and take it off. You can plumb license plate lights with those fancy lighted mounting bolts, worked great for me! Here is a pic from a couple of years ago when I swapped my stock fender out for a KXF rear fender.
I really disliked the "cereal box" looking fender too. My bike has gone through a serious metamorphosis since she was stock but a shaved well over 30lbs off her.
]

I like the look of your rear end..... Ha. Seriously though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didnt change out the rear fender, just deleted the sub fender and relocated the plate and light. Took less than an hour start to finish, working slow. I dont have the plate bolts with integrated leds, but it wouldn't be too hard to wire those up using the wiring for the stock plate light.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I mounted it to the rear fender then trimmed the fender to get rid of the beaver-tail look.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tag Light?/

I didnt change out the rear fender, just deleted the sub fender and relocated the plate and light. Took less than an hour start to finish, working slow. I dont have the plate bolts with integrated leds, but it wouldn't be too hard to wire those up using the wiring for the stock plate light.
Where did you mount the tag light and how?? I want to do the same thing.. and will change the tag bulb to LED...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts