Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found I was getting a lot of spray on my tailbag etc after the plate relocation job. Took a mudflap and modified it to fit. Easy job and hope it might help some of you with the same post mod spray problem.

[/img]

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Since you have the material and tools in hand. ;) Did you do the same for your rear shock? Now (please) make a drawing of both and post it to KLRforum.com so we all can enjoy the wet weather.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tomatocity said:
Since you have the material and tools in hand. ;) Did you do the same for your rear shock? Now (please) make a drawing of both and post it to KLRforum.com so we all can enjoy the wet weather.

No shock cover. The bolt to the rack tailbag mount I made up allowed me to move it back quite a bit but found it also got covered in mud and spray at lot more. I'll test the size before making a drawing. Might need to be a bit " longer " :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Slaghammer said:
tomatocity said:

No shock cover. The bolt to the rack tailbag mount I made up allowed me to move it back quite a bit but found it also got covered in mud and spray at lot more. I'll test the size before making a drawing. Might need to be a bit " longer " :oops:
Too short or not you are on top of the solution. The shock spray skirt can be simple. I am looking for an old tire tube that can be attached to the inner fender and dangled in front of the rear shock. Or we could buy the plastic piece for whatever dollars. Either one should extend the life of the rear shock by keeping debris off of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think all bikes here require a mud guard to be a certain length, all part of the Australian Design Rules. I find the extended length keeps most of the mud off the rear end. Have gone through 3 rego plates though, sticks have a nasty habit ripping the plate off.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jeff4680 said:
I think all bikes here require a mud guard to be a certain length, all part of the Australian Design Rules. I find the extended length keeps most of the mud off the rear end. Have gone through 3 rego plates though, sticks have a nasty habit ripping the plate off.

Jeff
Yes you are correct, Australian ADR reg require the rear guard to be a certain length. I think the bike looks much better with the long lenght so have never considered cutting mine down. As others have found the spray comes right over onto your back.

my 0.02

Paul

PS nice looking ride, what yr model is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
griffo1962 said:
Yes you are correct, Australian ADR reg require the rear guard to be a certain length. I think the bike looks much better with the long lenght so have never considered cutting mine down. As others have found the spray comes right over onto your back.

my 0.02

Paul

PS nice looking ride, what yr model is it?
2004. Most fun bike I've ever had.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Jeff: nice KLR and a good photo. The mud guard still lets the mud get on your tail/brake light. I was wondering if that would happen as much if you did not have the tail bag which can create a vacuum and pull the dirt/mud toward the rear fender. Just a thought. I sure wouldn?t give up the tail bag.

Paul: the longer guard does look nice but it would be ripped off in a New York second uh California minute on a non-commute off-road experience. That is why you see most of the riders raising their license plate by changing the mounting points from the top to the bottom of the license plate. You also see them remount the license plate to the rear fender and that is what started this thread.

Are the AUS mud guards available in the USA / CAN.? They would be great for a KLR commuter.

Do the AUS KLR?s come with a mud guard for the rear shock?

These are my opinions and thoughts and could be incorrect. :idea:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Slaghammer, have you tried that mudflap out yet? Was wondering how the length worked for you. I will probably add one as well. Gonna wait for your official report. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X6_Hustler said:
Slaghammer, have you tried that mudflap out yet? Was wondering how the length worked for you. I will probably add one as well. Gonna wait for your official report. Thanks.

Just did it last night so no chance to try it yet. Overall level length gain is a touch over 2" If need be, I'll hose down the street and blast through it to find out if its enough :razz: :razz:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Slaghammer said:
X6_Hustler said:

Just did it last night so no chance to try it yet. Overall level length gain is a touch over 2" If need be, I'll hose down the street and blast through it to find out if its enough :razz: :razz:
Your neighbors must love you! :lol: Good idea on the testing. I live on a busy street and would not attempt this.

I am considering not moving my license plate to the fender and leaving it mounted high on the stock inner fender. Your testing will help convince me what to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it does seem to work. Didnt get the normal dirt trail over the plate and tailbag. A better test in the mud will have to wait until more rain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Slaghammer said:
Well, it does seem to work. Didnt get the normal dirt trail over the plate and tailbag. A better test in the mud will have to wait until more rain.
Good. I like the looks of it as it is. Did you run it through any water?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just rode on wet roads and through any standing water I came across :razz: Because the flap is mounted so high up, I still get minor, normal road spray but I think it will prevent the big stuff from covering my tailbag and back of my jacket.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cheap Plastic Supply

FYI: If you're looking for a good excuse to buy a shrub for your wife, use the 5 gallon, 10 gallon or 15 gallon plastic nursery containers for shock guard plastic. It's easy to cut, the colors right, and it will appease the Knights that say NI. Also, if you have access to a warehouse, pallet - slip sheets work well too. Prolly too thin for a mud guard tho.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got caught in a rain storm in my stock 06. While my boots were soaking wet, my backpack, back of my jacket and helmet were free of any splatter. I was amazed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts