Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the rear on my 2008 is kind of worthless. Smooth, flat, with very little places for bungee attachments and such.

Has anyone made a better rack?
I'm thinking about drilling some holes in mine or mounting an old milk crate on top.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Using the existing bolts on my '09 rack, I made a rudimentary mounting plate out of plywood and some spacers and put a Pelican Storm case back there. I wish I would've gotten the next bigger size of case, but it works good, stuff stays dry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Savage,
Kick around a Pelican case (or similar) mounted on your rear rack.. Most are tough and waterproof, big enough to hold stuff, yet flat enough to not be a big huge box on the back of the bike..

I hate top boxes, but I don't mind the smaller Pelican on my bike, and with Bungie Buddies, I can still strap bigger things to the top..

I just mounted it by drilling the holes for 1/4" stainless hardware, all the way through the box and rack.. I used button head hardware and fender washers to give good, almost flat support inside the box.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've taken my trunk off once since I put it on years ago. And that was to add more storage. I can't imagine why I would take it off. I'd end up at the grocery store with no way to get home. :)

I like the way the pelicans look, but my trunk holds a lot. I get a gallon of milk for the little jaw like every other day for instance.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've been told that if you don't feed kids, they'll stay little and cute.. Don't know if it's true or not..

I think my parents tried, but I learned how to cook.. :)

NOW THAT is post 3500... Just imagine how informative my other 3499 were..

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Here's my '07 with Cycleracks.com rack and pannier set:

The rack's incredibly strong; manufacturer says none has ever broken in service.

Have Cyclerack also on my KLR250; pannier set conveniently movable between the two bikes.

Cycleracks available for '08 and later KLR's also.

(Image by Mark, "NC Hillbilly.")

--------------------

EDIT: Maybe NOT available for '08's and later; at http://www.cycleracks.com , I saw no applications for the latter-day KLR's.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't doing much so I removed the stock rack to take a look at it. Looks plenty sturdy so I just drilled 6 holes in it to give me good attachment points. I have plenty of storage in the sidebags for stuff. This gives me the option to carry big bulky stuff without having to worry about the bungies coming off. Now I can actually use the rack!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize this looks like nothing compared to Damocles nice setup.
But for what I'll use the bike for, it should suit me just fine.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've been told that if you don't feed kids, they'll stay little and cute.. Don't know if it's true or not..

I think my parents tried, but I learned how to cook.. :)

NOW THAT is post 3500... Just imagine how informative my other 3499 were..
3500! Congrats!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Really good.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Good for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have a Pelican 1500 and 1550. Used to use the 1500 for around town and the 1550 for travel. Now I leave the 1550 on all the time since it hold more groceries and whatever.

Tom and Cabrito have a different manufacturer that looks almost the same as the Pelican though VERY much less expensive.

There are other wider deeper racks that are good to strap things to. I used to use one below the Pelican case but it needs repair.

A Pelican style case is good for securing valuables.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
Here's my '07 with Cycleracks.com rack and pannier set:

The rack's incredibly strong; manufacturer says none has ever broken in service.

Have Cyclerack also on my KLR250; pannier set conveniently movable between the two bikes.

Cycleracks available for '08 and later KLR's also.

(Image by Mark, "NC Hillbilly.")

--------------------

EDIT: Maybe NOT available for '08's and later; at http://www.cycleracks.com , I saw no applications for the latter-day KLR's.
Sorry for the hijack, but what kind of helmet is that Damocles? Thanks in advance! <hijack off>

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got a TCI Denali... I planned on strapping ruck sacks to it but the current work situation has changed my adventure riding schedule. Currently I just use it to bank my knee on as I mount up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do you lock up your helmet whet you park the bike. I live in pique sunshiny Washington so the stock side lock is a no go. Also I ride to many trail heads and the dust would build up in it with out it in a trunk. I have the Joe Rocket hybrid and it fit in the cheap box from klr685.com.

Bungie cords are dangerous. They break and then stuff could get ugly fast. Saw my friend go down hard when his bungie broke and his bag got sucked into the rear tire. I went and got me some Rok Straps. They work so well. Hold things tighter and safer. As long as you keep um away from the exhaust they wont break. Only ten bucks each for a safer way. Seems priceless.

Have a good ride today.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
How do you lock up your helmet whet you park the bike. I live in pique sunshiny Washington so the stock side lock is a no go. Also I ride to many trail heads and the dust would build up in it with out it in a trunk. I have the Joe Rocket hybrid and it fit in the cheap box from klr685.com.

Bungie cords are dangerous. They break and then stuff could get ugly fast. Saw my friend go down hard when his bungie broke and his bag got sucked into the rear tire. I went and got me some Rom Straps. They work so well. Hold things tighter and safer. As long as you keep um away from the exhaust they wont break. Only ten bucks each for a safer way. Seems priceless.

Have a good ride today.
I'm fortunate enough to live and ride where I don't have to lock my helmet: I just hang it on the handlebars. If it's raining, I've got a waterproof stuff sack thing I can put it in.

I agree: bungee cords can be dangerous. I'm going to take David Hough's advice and start using plain old lashing rope when I'm carrying something instead of the bungee cords. It doesn't stretch and doesn't come loose if you know how to tie knots. I now carry a small hank of 1/4" nylon rope along with a few shorter pieces to use instead of the bungee cords.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts