Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for rear seat backrest for my KLR? I've had a few ladies (including my daughter and my queen), and two/3 say they'd be more comfortable riding it if there were some kind of backrest other than a cushion mounted to milk crate :) Ideally, I'd like to have a small backrest that comes up 8 inches or so. I don't mind losing the rear deck, which I think is kinda ugly and useless to me but I'll keep it if I can do something that accommodates it. I'm six feet tall but legs are on the shorter side.

I've tried looking around for aftermarket kits but nothing really comes up? Pics or links if you got 'em!

Thanks! -R

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
My wife had the same complaint two-up on the KLR. I fixed it by buying a Goldwing. You’ll probably have to come up with something of your own design.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'd go with the Wing idea. If you are married, you should expect that your wife will get larger over the years. Women seem to keep growing as they age.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Or at least a BMW or Harley or Indian. If your wife is going on motorcycle trips with you, you will need more storage. Trust me on this!

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
I'll suggest that passengers on a motorcycle need to be nearly as alert to everything on the roadway and near the roadway as the motorcycle pilot, himself. A passenger slouching against a backrest, with a false sense of security, that they might not fall off can lead to adverse handling issues if the rider has to take evasive actions.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'll suggest that passengers on a motorcycle need to be nearly as alert to everything on the roadway and near the roadway as the motorcycle pilot, himself. A passenger slouching against a backrest, with a false sense of security, that they might not fall off can lead to adverse handling issues if the rider has to take evasive actions.
Agreed. You don't want a sack of potato's back there. Back when I rode Wings, there was even a riders coarse that taught the bike's passenger what to do if the bike's operator passed out / died for a medical reason etc. They taught the them where brakes were and to steer it to a slow fall over.

A KLR is not a good two up bike but if you're both light weight people, I'd stick on a EMGO brand trunk if that made her feel better. Then if you wheelie at 80 MPH, she has a chance of staying on. ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts

nirvashtypezero - Sorry, bud, I just couldn't resist.

A guy I know told me I should get this t-shirt and he knows darn well I don't passenger anyone ever.
This looks like it might work. Click on the image. However, I'll need to agree with pdwestman regarding passengers. I for one will not take passengers on any of my motorcycles anymore. Far too dangerous if you ask me.

Let me be totally honest. When I had a '82 Yamaha 750 Maxim many years ago a girlfriend and I rode the tires off that motorcycle. I didn't like the fact that I was responsible for another human beings life. After I sold that motorcycle I swore off passengers for good. And, I was a reluctant passenger on an Honda Africa Twin back in July of this year and hope I never have to do that again. I admit I'm just not a good passenger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts