Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Progressive 465 shock in my 2001 KLR 650. I removed the complete shock linkage for inspection. The linkage component called the "Lever" was very difficult to remove as it was being pinched between the frame tubes that the pivot bolt goes through. Very tightly pinched - like .030 or .040 interference. Is this normal? DO I need to loosen the lower engine mount bolts and spread the frame to get the lever back in? Did the DSPO install the wrong bushings?

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'd like to hear em! Thanks in advance.
Brian

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've changed the rear shock on my 02' twice and all the bolts pushed in and out with no issues.. I think I may have had to tap the bottom one out due to lack of lube the first time around, but that's it.

I hope the 465 is a much better shock than the 420.. The 420 sucked snot.. Over sprung and underdamped, it was replaced with a MOAB shock made for my weight and riding style.

Looking forward to your feelings on the 465 when you get it installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Hmmm... I wonder what the issue is with that tight fit.
I'm terribly bummed to hear about your experience with the 420. Is the Moab a better off-road shock? I'll be PO'd if I just spent 4 bills on a piece of junk. I got the Progressive fork springs as well. Maybe I should not ask your opinion on those ;)

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The Moab is a custom built shock, and it's truly wonderful.. Bumps are swallowed.. It's not cheap, though.. I haven't heard anything (nor have I looked) on the 465, so I'm no help.. http://motocd.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=45
As far as the fork springs, Progressives get put in pretty much everything I own. I wouldn't take them out of the KLR for any reason.. Excellent product... At some point in time, I'll get Gold Valves in the shock, but I haven't found a reason to do so, yet..

·
Administrator
8,304 Posts
coolbri-

When I pulled by rear suspension apart I found that the lever was a bit tight as I removed it. Putting it back in I found an interference of about .010" (rough measurement) and it would almost feel like it was gonna go, but no.

It was necessary to loosen the bolts, install the lever, and set the bolts back to proper torque.

These are not precision engineered things...

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gratzi

I appreciate the response. I new I'd have to use brute force, and I'm glad to hear there is nothing unusual about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts