1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
powerstroke

do you know of a rear shock from another bike that will fit a 1998 klr650
Can anyone help out Powerstroke?

I just sent for info on the Moab rear shock, but it's currently going for $495, on sale.. The only other thing I can suggest is eBay.. Always seems to be someone parting out a bike there.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Progressive Suspension 420 rear shock @ KLR650.COM for 375$, my next upgrade
Please don't.. I have a Progressive and it's the reason I'm getting info on the Moab.. In short, it's a hunk of crap. Mine is 2 years old, and it won't be on for a 3rd.:mad0235:

Over sprung, under dampened.. Believe it or not, the stock is better..:(

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's a guy rebuilding stock shocks. Part of the rebuild is converting to a deCarbon piston setup. IIRC it's $450 exchange, with custom setup Gold Valves, sprung for your weight and conditions, etc.

I'll look up contact info and post back. I'm going to send in one of mine and see how it goes.

all the best,

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paper- sorry to hear about your lousy exp. w/the Progressive shock, thanks for the info
They seem like a good deal.. I was warned before buying mine, and I wish I'd have listened..

My Moab shock is being built right now. I hope to have it on my KLR for The Boring Rally at Aerostich in a month.:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just blew mine

I just blew the seals on my rear shock again. This is the second time. The last time I had it rebuilt by some hippy-longhaired dude in Hawaii. It lasted for several years but currently, I live outside Chicago.

Where do you get one rebuilt around here?

Is there an aftermarket equivalent out there?

Is the 420 that bad?

Please let me know what you think, I'm still riding it to work and back with the pre-load at 3 and it's "ok" but I need to get it fixed soon. Thanks again guys..............Dano

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there an aftermarket equivalent out there?

Is the 420 that bad?
Dan,
Yeah, it's really that bad.. It's over sprung and under dampened.. Kind of a very hard pogo stick..

As far as aftermarket, there's several shocks out there, but they're all another $100-$200 more than the Progressive, but from what I've been told, they're worth it. I was torn between the Moab, which I ordered, and the Works Performance, which I've had on other bikes and was amazed with the fantastic quality and ride.

I'm hoping the Moab shock is as good as everyone says..:) I should be finding out in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have just goldvalved my stock '08 shock and installed remote resevoir for compression adjustment. That also nearly doubles the oil volume.
I will test ride it on my way home this eve.
I didn't change the spring yet, I wanted to test the damping changes alone then will change the spring. I weigh 170#
I put emulators in the forks and love them, again, no fork springs yet. same reason as above.
I am a Racetech Center, have been since 1996. all we do is motorcycle chassis set-ups and suspension. I would be glad to do the work for any of ya'll.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So where do I get the emulators at? I need to do something on the front and was thinking about progressive springs but there is alot of hype about that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes im thinking about the Moab shoc i blew my stock out riding around Hana does any one know where that long haired hippie is on hawaii

1 - 11 of 11 Posts