Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

Rear Shock Suspension For 450 Lbs?

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DPelletier 
#1 ·
What is the best shock/spring for a carrying body weight capacity of 450 pounds on the KLR650 ? I'd appreciate any good advise. Thanks.

#2 ·
Many riders think that the stock unit is too stiff.

Mine has almost no give on the #5 setting but I weigh a buck-50.

Does the bike sink too much or bottom out?

Yes there's some stiffer units available for two up touring as well as
baja- bouncing offroading. I haven't researched this part so I hope others
will chime in with their favorite setups. I like what came on it.

I did, however stiffen up the front by adding one inch spacers atop the fork springs.

#3 ·
You may want to contact a company like Cogent and discuss your specific needs with them. You'll likely need a different shock/spring combo.

#5 ·
To determine the correct rear shock/spring application. The riding is mostly on paved roads with some off road touring on scenic areas on short distance touring trips. The load factor involved is; driver 250 pounds, passenger 150 pounds and 50 pounds maximum of trunk cargo. A total of 450 pounds on short distant trips. Monday morning before going to work I noticed an oil leak from the seal of the rear shock. It is the o.e.m. shock/spring, maybe age brake down caused the seal to rupture?It is a 2001 year model. The preload was set to the stiff setting to handle the weight better once the pounds was applied to the back suspension and seemed to have handled the weight good without bottoming the rear fender when hitting a bump in the road. I've looked at Cagnet Moab, Progressive and Elka Stage back suspension shock/compression springs. Still unsure of the best suspension upgrade. Thanks for any ideas.

#6 ·
Cogent Moab is better than the progressive 465....Cogent Adventure is a bit cheaper. Elka is great.....and the price reflects that. Benefit of going Cogent is Ricks free advice and custom set up. even if you dont go cogent, call rick; hes very knowledgable and happy to help.

Dave

#7 ·
Which,I wonder, would be better for the described application on the KLR, the Elka or the Moab ? Also, there is a one inch lowering links to install in place of the original suspension links to lower the seat height. I am thinking the lowering links will compress the spring/shock creating less travel before bottoming out and a stiffer ride? However I don't think it will be a problem because there is no extreme rough riding involved. Thanks, this is good and knowledgeable advise.

#8 ·
the Elka is a great shock....and its over double the price of the Moab. I think its overkill for a KLR and the Moab is an excellent shock and an even better value.

actually, you have it backwards on the lowering links; they make the ride softer.
I dont like the lowering links; they change the leverage on the shock making the stock weak spring and dampening even worse. I always suggest that people avoid them unless they are really, really short and dont plan on much offroad riding. cut the seat, get taller boots, whatever you have to but to cripple the already weak rear shock isnt a great plan.

2 cents,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.