Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted here because I wanted to include both Gen1 and Gen2 KLRs.

Wanted to get riders input on their Rear Shock or thoughts about their Rear Shock.

I want to replace my stock rear shock with a new more adjustable Rear Shock. A better spring will not do what I want since I also need better dampening. A couple times this year I will be KLR traveling for 30+ days at a time and will be carrying a traveling / camping load.

What are your thoughts on the Rear Shock?
------------------------------------------

Who is interested in a new aftermarket rear shock?
tomatocity - Cogent Dynamics Moab
planalp - ?
BUGKLR - Cogent Dynamics Moab ?
KLR-zin - Cogent Dynamics Moab or Sasquatch ?
efigalaxie - ?
Cabrito - Sasquatch ?

Who already has an aftermarket rear shock?
T748 - Tom - Cogent Dynamics Moab (test rides available)
Tom Schmitz
Human Ills - Cogent Dynamics Moab (no raising links)
Paper - Cogent Dynamics Moab (very good)
AJay 112 - Progressive 465
tbss1 - Progressive 465 (adjustable lowering links)
SLO-KLR - Cogent Dynamics Moab (likes it a lot)
Pistoldave - Cogent Dynamics Moab (would do it again)

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I've got the original Cogent Dynamics shock on my '89 KLR and love it. Rick also made the shock on my 1200 Bandit. You can bet my next bike will have his suspension on it if at all possible. Coustom made for you and your riding style beats "off the shelf, one size fits all" anyday (IMO).
Your welcome to take mine for a test ride at the Etna tech daze if you would like. I had mine built for a 290lb rider plus 50lb of luggage. Biased with alot more on road than off.- Tom.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the original Cogent Dynamics shock on my '89 KLR and love it. Rick also made the shock on my 1200 Bandit. You can bet my next bike will have his suspension on it if at all possible. Coustom made for you and your riding style beats "off the shelf, one size fits all" anyday (IMO).
Your welcome to take mine for a test ride at the Etna tech daze if you would like. I had mine built for a 290lb rider plus 50lb of luggage. Biased with alot more on road than off.- Tom.
Thanks for the information and offer Tom. I like your white KLR685.
My plans are to have the rear shock by the time I get to Etna. From NCTD I am leaving for a 3-4 week trip through OR, WA, MT, WY, SD, ND, and return.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Give Rick at Cogent a call. He's a real chatty guy who loves to talk about motorcycle suspension stuff wether your a customer or not. Theres no high pressure sales pitches from him. He also sells and services other manufactures products. If you do buy from him, his after the sale customer service is second to none. Definitly a good thing when your out on the long road trips you take. His number is
(828) 628 9025. -Tom.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm gonna be looking into Cogent and Sasquatch (Idaho) after I scrape up some dough. Rode a bike with the Moab and couldn't believe the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna be looking into Cogent and Sasquatch (Idaho) after I scrape up some dough. Rode a bike with the Moab and couldn't believe the difference.
Hi zin. Please tell me about the Cogent ride difference. What about the Sasquartch? I am going to Idaho after NorCal Tech Daze.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. A rear shock replacement is my next goal and I'll be interested to hear what everybody has to say. I installed raising links to improve things a bit, but think a shock replacement is the way to go in the long run.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just might take you up on that if it is okay. I am saving for a cd shock and would love to know how yours feels with the info you gave them.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for starting this thread. A rear shock replacement is my next goal and I'll be interested to hear what everybody has to say. I installed raising links to improve things a bit, but think a shock replacement is the way to go in the long run.
I also have raising links and understand you can have the shock built to create the height. Tom Schmitz has his shock built to raise his Gen2. We will know more when Tom replies.

Can we get a count of who is interested in a new aftermarket rear shock?
tomatocity - Cogent Dynamics Moab
planalp - ?
BUGKLR - Cogent Dynamics Moab ?
KLR-zin - Cogent Dynamics Moab or Sasquatch ?
efigalaxie - ?
Cabrito - Sasquatch ?

Can we get a count on who already has an aftermarket rear shock?
T748 - Tom - Cogent Dynamics Moab
Tom Schmitz
Human Ills - Cogent Dynamics Moab (no raising links)
Paper - Cogent Dynamics (very good)
AJay 112 - Progressive 465
tbss1 - Progressive 465 (adjustable lowering links)
SLO-KLR - Cogent Dynamics Moab
Pistoldave - Cogent Dynamics Moab

THE COUNT HAS BEEN MOVED TO POST #1

·
Registered
66 Posts
465 with stock links... It's like riding on kittens in the rocks.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
MOAB shock on my 2002 and it's the best aftermarket shock I've ever purchased.. (You don't want to know what I've spent on shocks on bikes over the years)

The rear end is solid riding, yet bumps are soaked up and are barely noticable.. When riding on a slightly bumpy road, the rear end just soaks the bumps, yet the shock doesn't squish when hard on the gas (ok, a little) and the bike is VERY stable in corners with it..

I had the earlier version of the Progressive rear shock and it was better than stock, but only a bit.. Oversprung, and under dampened.. Bumps were harsh, and the back end really squished in corners and when on the gas.. I hated it..

The only other shock that I've ever had that was as good as the MOAB was a Works Performance shock made for my old BMW R65 (not the one I currently own).. The best part about the Works shock was that it had a lever for instant preload increase, if you were riding 2 up... Just slide the lever and it increased preload for the increased weight.. Pretty harsh if you forgot to flip it back, though..:)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another MOAB shock.. They made it for my weight, and riding style.. It arrived a bit stiff on preload, but I backed it off for the right amount of sag and haven't touched it since.. When riding over rocks in the UP, it's like they're slight bumps, rather than big rocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Progressive 465 and adjustable lowering links. I wanted to get it an inch lower but the setup never felt right with the center stand so I raised it back to stock height.

The progressive was a huge improvement over stock and I am very happy with it. Build quality is excellent. Not sure if it compared to CD because I have never used one.

I was riding two-up today with my wife and she said it was much better and she should know because I make her sit halfway on the tail rack. She prefers the Magna 750 on any extended riding.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I've been thinking about having one of my two spare rear shocks re-worked.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Moab shock and it rocks! It is amazing how much it smoothes out the ride and increases the control, even on the pavement. TC as much as you've liked tinkering with the preload adjusters, you will love the Moab shock.
I have always been overly concerned with front suspension though what I have now feels pretty good. I was surprised how well it felt on the rocky rutted hard pack I rode the other evening.
If I can get the rear shock to handle weight and bumps at the same time I will be a Happy KLRista.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I haven't done much research on this yet, but what do you all think of just replacing the spring with an upgraded progressive-type spring? I don't do a lot of off-roading, mostly just gravel, but I'm looking for a shock upgrade that will just better handle my 290 pounds (or so, with gear) and another 50 pounds or so of assorted crap. My raising links helped, but I'd still like more "meat" under my ass.

I don't know the downsides or even if this is something I could do without special tools, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $500+ or so on a rear shock when I could get a spring for less than $100 that might help in my situation where "performance" might not really be an issue, but don't really know how an upgraded spring might interact with the rest of the stock shock.

If anybody has any ideas on this, I'd be interested in hearing them. I don't hear a lot of people talking about this option, so I'm guessing maybe it's not a very good one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts