Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All

Ride a 2004 KLR without any problems.

I need advice on the makeup of a rear shock. The one I am looking at is a BMW SHOWA that has the preload built into the top end of the shock. While leaning on the bike the owner heard a “pop” or “click” and the adjustment changed. As if the first few turns of the preload adjuster were lost. You can turn it in and “firm” up the rear end, but backed out there is slop.

Does anyone know what the mechanics are of this adjuster. Mechanical? Hydraulic?? I find a lot of information on resovier type assemblies but nothing on the ones with the adjusting screw mounted tangentially to the shock.

My first thought is that something slipped or snapped.

Dave. KLR BMW R1150 RT, R75/6 Honda CB 350, C70 and C200
Thanks for any leads

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Is the shock you are looking at ON the BMW R1150 RT? Or is it something you hope can be installed on the KLR?

Can you look at an on-line parts schematic and tell anymore about it? A couple of guys on here also ride BMW's, so you might get some help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Westman
The shock is on a BMW f650gs twin. There is no information on the rear shock. No parts diagram(not rebuildable) nothing in shop manual. Nothing on the net. Lots of info on the reservoir type models. The shock just has lost the first 5or 6 turns on the preload. Just slack. The adjusting screw threads into a fitting which looks like it may be adjustable. Moving this piece in and out would set the minimum preload.

Even an idea on how it works would be helpful.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Maybe @Cabrito knows. He had a similar BMW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I have a feeling that the BMW shock is similar to the KLR shown but other than the ring gear and spur. The BMW has a worm gear assembly.

New shock arriving in four weeks. I’ll let all know what I find.

Ride safe, Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts