Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking at some new tires. (You all helped with that subject) Question is I am seeing a few guys changing tire sizes on the rear from the 4.60 to 5.10. Whats to be gained from this really? I thought about sending an e-mail off to the manufacture to see if the weight rating for the tires change. Will a 5.10 work on an 08 KLR and not cause problems? Much thanks and have a good one all.:desismiley1:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought 5.00/5.10 was the standard rear tire size. That's the size I use.
I think your right Here. My bike came with the 4.60 on the rear when I got it. I have called a couple of places talking tires and have got the size 130/80X17 for the rear. They tell me the 4.60 is just a hair smaller and the 5.10 is just a hair bigger. But that might be horse hockey I dont know????

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been running 5.10 since I bought it 18k miles ago. Works fine, a wee bit of extra floatation is welcome on this heavy pig. Mmmmm.......meat

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've got a 5.10 on my 300. I wouldn't run anything any smaller.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know, I'm dredging up the dead. But everything is so old, you know? Its 2018 now and searches for relevant information return either "do a search..." or something from 2012. So I found this relic to rejuvenate.

This 2005 I picked up has a Kenda 270 5.10 on the rear. You can see here what this size and an aggressive tread pattern do to a Gen1. I haven't tried one of these on a Gen2. I'm inclined to go down to a 4.60.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I know, I'm dredging up the dead. But everything is so old, you know? Its 2018 now and searches for relevant information return either "do a search..." or something from 2012. So I found this relic to rejuvenate.

This 2005 I picked up has a Kenda 270 5.10 on the rear. You can see here what this size and an aggressive tread pattern do to a Gen1. I haven't tried one of these on a Gen2. I'm inclined to go down to a 4.60.
It is possible that the chain alignment marks are not accurate. It is possible that that chain mud guard has warped with time, mine did!

No harm at all to try a 4.60.

Or one could loosen all of the LH spokes 2 turns and then Tighten all of the RH spokes 2 turns. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is possible that the chain alignment marks are not accurate. It is possible that that chain mud guard has warped with time, mine did!

No harm at all to try a 4.60.

Or one could loosen all of the LH spokes 2 turns and then Tighten all of the RH spokes 2 turns. :)
I actually took those pics right when I finished tightening the chain and aligning the rear properly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts