Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old (about 30 years) and have owned or riden almost every type/style of motorcycle out there.

Prior to 2005, I have had a total of 2 flat tires, both of which were caused by me doing something foolish (extended burn-outs at a race & catching "alot" of air on a logging road at 80mph) and the second nearly ending my youth.

Now the KLR, bought new in '04 and in the first year - 2 rear flats, (after which I installed ""Monster Tubes" front and rear), second year - 1 front 1 rear, third year - 2 rear flats (installed new tires and tubes), and last night - look at bike in garage and rear tire is flat again (hasn't been riden for a week, and checked it 3 days ago all fine).

Out of 6 rear tire flats, only 2 were due to punctures, the rest all from valve stem area failures:mad0235:

I am wondering if this is something unique to this bike/rim or have any others out there experianced this as well? I run everything at the correct pressures and everything is checked at least twice a week.

Turbo

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I've never heard of anything like that, my friend. If I were you I would have an exorcism performed.

Not trying to make light, that is a drag...I too have owned a cursed vehicle or two in my time. :mad0235:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Could the rear tire be slipping on the rim? Low tire pressure? Rim lock?

·
Registered
46 Posts
might want to check around the valve stem hole in rim for metal burrs of some sort. If tire pressures are in recommended range there is definitly some sort of problem. Might also what to be sure tube is seated on tire to let valve stem go straight out the hole easily.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but all that have been mentioned have been looked at (with the exception of an exorcism);
-Tire pressure 28-30 lbs (max rated @ 40lbs).
-I have had an alignment mark on the tire/rim to see if tire has moved position on the rim (never moved).
-Valve stem on the monster tube has lock stem and has been installed (torqued correctly).
-Rim, spokes and valve stem have been inspected several times both by me and dealer with no issues found to cause this.
:mad0235: :mad0235:

At this point I am considering installing a new tube yet again and this time adding "Tire Goo" (also known as tire slime) to help prevent this from re-occurring.

This is the only issue I have with this bike and it is absolutely infuriating to say the least.

Turbo

Lockjaw: making a little light of the situation in my opinion is a good thing, it makes us see the humor in things, keeps us all grounded and open minded ... Thanks for the chuckle ... you wouldn't have a procedure for this would you?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
No prob. And yeah, I do. It involves a lot of Garlic though...or wait, that's for vampires. There aren't teeth marks in the tires are there?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Three possibilities:
1. As mentioned low air preasure or use of lubricant during mounting- cure rim lock or higher air preasure
2. Improper mounting leaving the tube torqued - cure partially inflate the tube during installation to ensure proper positioning
3. A burr or uneven edge to the valve stem hole. Check the bubber liner too to make sure there isn't a rip in it.

As far as I know there is no pandemic of bad KLR rims in the world. LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing that comes to mind as why the 650 has flats compaired to your past scoots is the width of the KLR rear rim. It's alot wider than most dirt bikes, the bead has less pressure forcing it against the rim, allowing it migrate under load.
Rimlocks and/or leaving the valve stem nut off might help...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tire and wheel are going in today for inspection and replacement of the tube and, I have decided to replace the tire as well (current tire has 60-70% tread left but will be kept as a spare), will run through all of the posted suggestions at the same time.

I will discuss installing a rim lock as well, however, my rim/tire mark does not indicate that the tire has moved on the rim. As stated earlier, I run my rear at 28-30 psi and most riders that I have spoken to are running at 25 psi with-out issues.

I removed the rear wheel last night and cannot find any indication of a puncture any where. Will post again once tire has been removed and inspected, and report any discoveries.

To all: Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Turbod98

·
Registered
272 Posts
rear tire flats

wow that's alotta flat history.
My questions would be; is there any consistency in the reason for loss of pressure? like, if the tire slips on the rim enough to tear the valve stem; there will be a hole at the base of the valve stem. In the worst cases, the stem will be ripped right out of the tube. No patching that.
If you have pinched the tube during install, usually there will be what we call a 'snake bite', two holes very close together. similarly, with low tire pressure a pinched tube will look similar to the snake bite pattern.

I always air up a tube after I remove it to see what the problem is. I always find the hole. Then I check the tire's corresponding area to see if the item that puntured the tube is still in the tire, (inside)

If there are no apparent leaks from the tube, you may have a valve core that is not tight, or defective. check it with water, or spit, to see if it makes bubbles under pressure.

The slime stuff only fixes small punctures on the outer circumference of the tire, not side punctures and not pinches or valve stem failures.
But at least it makes one helluva mess for the next ime you have to take off the tire. I would not use it except in atv tires, which for the most part are tubeless.

good luck with it.
It's not cursed

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm loving the extra big windscreen but quick question never seen that "cannister" (for lack of a better word) on the front below the coolant by your skid plate. What's it do?

JR member here, fill me up n top me off im ready to ride ;)
O

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the tire was removed fron the rim and it is quite clear that the tire has moved on the rim, lots of rubber shavings all inside the tire and on the tube.

Valve stem base has small tear at the tube/valve stem doubler, other than that, no other issues found. Full rim inspection done and had new tire and tube installed and rebalanced with pressure at 31psi. Oddly, during the installation and balancing of the new stuff, the old tube held the 8 psi of air. It would not actually leak until very slight side pressure was applied to the valve stem.

Did not put any tire slime in the tube and I did discuss installing a rim lock (couple of people that have them say they work well but a a pain to deal with and re-balancing can be a nightmare) but opted out for now.

Biggest factor to prevent re-occurrance, check tire pressures more often and run at a minimum of 30-31 psi.

The occassional exorcism probably wouldn't hurt either :23a: ...

Thanks all for the input,

Turbod98

·
Registered
650 Posts
If your running at 31psi.. I doubt that the tire spun on the rim, The KLR just doesnt have that much power :50:

I've run down to 18 psi and even lower.. (devils thumb...Where I almost died :11a: ) And still didnt spin the tire... that might have been more luck then.

But if it goes flat on the highway, It will take about a nano second to spin and rip the tube. Thats why you should always carry a spare and a patch kit. :35a:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never run the valve stem nut down tight against the rim, because if it's anchored tight, it will immediately tear the stem out of the tube. I leave it locked against the valve cap, which incidentally is a metal one with a rubber seal. If the tire moves, the valve stem will lean over at an angle and warn me before it tears out, and I can straighten it out again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts