Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so on Friday I just bought a 2007 KLR650 with 625 miles on it. The rear tire and tube was just replaced along with the first service @ 615 miles by "Mega Motorsports" in Toccoa, GA. Today, 24 miles later (now @ 639 miles), while on a leisurely Sunday morning cruise around the block, the rear tire went flat, the bead seat is broken, and there is what looks like a rubber ribbon hanging out from inside the rim, apparently affixed to the valve stem, that has wrapped itself around the sprocket carrier. I thoroughly checked for any puncture or deformation of the tire (obviously), and it's perfect. The new tire is a Dunlop "tube-type" D606 130/90-17. Again this was a light on-road cruise as I'm still familiarizing myself with the bike. I ride an '07 CBR1000RR on the street, and an '07 1000RR on the track. I have a Coats 4050e tire machine we use for sport-bike tires, but I'm afraid to use it on these KLR wheels. Also I don't have any experience with tubes or "tube-type" tires. So I'm off to a bit of a rocky start here. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

·
Administrator
8,257 Posts
PoppaWheeliesParts -

First, welcome and congrats on what sounds like a good find - a 2007 with 615 miles on it!

As to the wheel, it sounds like you just plain got a flat, except I'm not clear on this ribbon thing that is affixed to the valve stem. The bead being broken is not unusual.

Now, there's nothing really magical or mystical about tubed tires, except that you have the additional chore of getting the tube into the tire and not getting it pinched or twisted

The first thing you gotta do is figure out what that ribbon thing is, because that's the only unusual feature here. The worst case would be that it is the rim strip - that might indicate some real issues. Got pics?

As to the R&R process, I'm going to refer you here, where we had a recent discussion:

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=6881

There are some links to videos there that should help with the tube installation.

I think you should be OK with the tire changing machine, if you want to use it.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer broke the rim strip when installing the tire, and with it broken the tube was compromised by a spoke..

Pitch the rim strip in the garbage and give the inside of your rim 2-3 wraps of duct tape. Poke a hole where the valve stem goes through the rim, and slap on a new tube and the tire you just had replaced.

Give the inside of the tire a good inspection, just to verify there's no defects or sharp objects inside the tire.. If you don't find anything, slap'r all back together and it should be good.

Typically, rim strips break at the hole for the valve stem.. Duct tape won't.. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
All good info, I can add no more, flats happen.

It sounds like you should get yourself a good set of tire irons and be patient and through when you do tires and tubes. The most common problem encountered when repairing a flat is pinching the new tube,

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
All good info paper spot on the only thing i can add is to use a toul to wipe the inside of tire down if there was any thing in the tire the toul will snag on it and not your hand but it sounds just like what paper descibed:character00268:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts