Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find the factory size for the rear tire on the 2017 KLR. I found 130/90 and 140/80 on Pirelli 50/50 on off road. Which one do you recommend that I choose?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 140/80 is wider and may rub on the muffler. The 130/90 is a bit taller but the same width as the factory 130/70 tire.
Going with the 130/90 you might get a small drop in RPM.

·
Administrator
3,676 Posts
Isn't factory 130/80 - 17?
Yes, but he can’t find that size in Panama.

Go with the 130/90. Lot’s of folks use the Dunlop 606 in that size because it doesn’t come in actual KLR sizing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but he can’t find that size in Panama.

Go with the 130/90. Lot’s of folks use the Dunlop 606 in that size because it doesn’t come in actual KLR sizing.
Okay. I go with that size. 130/90
Gracias a todos.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the store ready to buy the 130/90 17 and they had sold the last one. But being there, the Pirelli dealer came in with a new shipment of all sizes and I was able to get the 130/80.
The price was US $ 110.00 with the installation included.
The front one, I had bought it last week at US $ 95.00 with the installation included. I am now ready for the dry season which should start on December 15th. It is a Pirelli MT60

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Dicky,
Is the front tire also the Pirelli MT-60?
Could you show us pics from the front & the rear of the bike after the rear tire is mounted to show the direction of tread rotation of both tires?

I have kind of wanted to try the MT-60's, for several years. But I keep acquiring early 'take-offs' from customers, which just have Too Much mileage left on them for me to ignore. My labor is free, on my own bike. :)

·
Administrator
3,676 Posts
Man that tire in Canada is $176 + installation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here in Panama, these tires are used by the Linces police force, who use the DR650. The comments are that they are durable and good in dry and wet and on dirt and street.

·
Administrator
3,676 Posts
Two up on a DR for the day must get pretty uncomfortable. They probably take a lot of donut breaks.

Reactions: PaddyD and Dicky

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Here in Panama, these tires are used by the Linces police force, who use the DR650. The comments are that they are durable and good in dry and wet and on dirt and street.
View attachment 27810
They ought to hire 'Smaller Passengers' or at least put a cushion on that rear rack. Ouch!
And maybe up-grade the suspension.

Reactions: Dicky
1 - 13 of 13 Posts