Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my '89 Honda Transalp this summer one of the first things I noticed was how well I could see what is behind me in the rear view mirrors. They're larger than the mirrors on the KLR. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference but it does. Today I decided to find out if the Transalp mirrors would mount to the KLR. Yep, they do. I really like how much more I can see with the Transalp mirrors than the KLR mirrors. Looks like I may be ordering new mirrors for the KLR?

The Honda mirror is on the right side in this image (left side of the motorcycle). The Honda's mirror stim has a black finish too. Makes it look a little better if you ask me.

Honda mirror on the left. OEM KLR mirror on the right.

Honda mirror is the larger one.

A little more hardware for the Honda mirror to mount to the KLR bracket. What you see is the total hardware that came off the Honda.

KLR mounting is simpler with less hardware. According to Honda parts the mirror is only $20 but I'll need to order the mounting hardware that goes with it in order to get the mirror to mount to the KLR. I'll add it up and let you know the difference in my next post if anyone is interested?

Reactions: AzMtnThumper

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
I for one, would like see if the Honda vibration damper mounts double your price tag.

Even at $40 per side that would not be too severe.

Yet the guaranteed 'un-breakable' mirrors by Double-Take may not be too much more. But their mounting stems are a Love 'em or Hate 'em item.

Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I for one, would like see if the Honda vibration damper mounts double your price tag.

Yet the guaranteed 'un-breakable' mirrors by Double-Take may not be too much more. But their mounting stems are a Love 'em or Hate 'em item.
Well, I guess that's out. The Rubber Mount is NLA. Unless I can find out if it is used on another motorcycle or ask for a WTB on another forum? That's too bad.

Item number 40 NLA.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

The Double-Takes are $106 a pair for the enduro mirrors - I am definitely in the "Love-'em" camp.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dave, Your opinion on the Enduro model over the Adventure (besides $24 diff in price). Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
The 'Adventure' model will give you a 'wider' field of view and I think they look better, even tho I am still running stock 'round' mirrors.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Dave, Your opinion on the Enduro model over the Adventure (besides $24 diff in price). Thanks, Mike
Cheaper, smaller (so they hit less), and tuck away better all just makes the Enduro models a better choice form my "offroad centric" riding. the Adventures look nice and are a good choice too.
YMMV

Dave

·
Administrator
8,556 Posts
I found that every mirror I have tried for the KLR winds up being a vanity mirror. All I can see is myself. It would be nice to see a head-on shot of the DoubleTake Adventure mirrors to see if they truly get out into the field of view.

The price is high but I'd pay it except I'm afraid that I'd get them mounted and find that I still mostly see my shoulders. Jacketed up, I'm just shy of two feet across at the shoulders.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Tom,

I think the Doubletakes would be the ticket for you; there are three pcs, the ball mount, the RAM arm and the mirror itself. The RAM arms come in 2" or 3" for the Enduro mirrors and 6" for the Adventure (the Adventure mirror part is shorter than the Enduro)......so I'm sure if you wanted to, you could use the Enduro Mirror with the 6" Ram arm and you'd be able to see around a Gorilla! .....nice part is that you can simply and easily make them narrower or fold them all the way down offroad.....I got so tired of hitting the stockers and having them flop around loose afterwards.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found that every mirror I have tried for the KLR winds up being a vanity mirror. All I can see is myself.
As you can see in the mounted photos the reasons I like the Honda mirrors is they don't stick out much further than the OEM KLRs and yet the diameter of the mirror is larger so your field of view is larger outside your shoulder. I'm still looking for the rubber mount for the Honda OEM mirrors. Think I'll stop by the motorcycle salvage yard this weekend and see what they have there for mirrors. I know I won't find Transalp mirrors but I may find something that's close ya never know. In retrospect I guess I shouldn't have mounted the Honda mirrors to the KLR because from now on I'll always be disappointed with the KLR's OEM mirrors.

Let me add this for clarification as to why I just cannot swap mirrors with out using the hardware that belongs to the Honda. The Honda mirror stem itself is smaller in diameter, therefore, it will not just thread into the provided bolt hardware of the KLR. Now, the base bolt hole that the final connection is made to the bracket on the handlebar of the KLR and the Honda are the same but the mounting hardware between the mirror stem and final mounting bolt to the handlebar are different. I would need to have Honda hardware to get it to mount correctly since the base mounting hole threads are the same OR find a reduction mounting bolt that threads to the stem of the Honda mirror and then to the KLR final mounting bracket leaving out the Honda rubber mount. Not sure I will be able to find a reduction bolt that would fit the Honda mirror and thread to the KLR base bolt. I realize I didn't explain that in my original post. Just thought I would clarify and make it as clear as mud.

·
Administrator
8,556 Posts
I was looking into this sometime back before I just went and bought cheap mirrors from Amazon. Isn't there a right-hand/left-hand thread issue, an 8mm vs 10mm issue, as well as the vibration damper to contend with? I tried to put something together but it all became horrible and depressing and I gave up.

Some folks say that there are Aprilia mirrors that are puddle-wonderful.

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
Yamaha uses the LH threads, Tom.

I tried to search Honda parts like I search Kawasaki parts, but it did not work. Surely some other Honda used the vibration damper mirror mounts! The aftermarket models are too soft. OEM Parts Part Search Results

·
Administrator
8,556 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Tom. I found "Where Used" information also but every time I would look up the PN it would show NLA. I don't know how you found the Honda dealership that say they have the part but I will call them on Tuesday to find out if they do indeed have that part. Thank you for posting it.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
My 2001 came iwth mirrors that had vibration mounts - they LOOK OEM....or at least OEM something. I thought they were stock until I bought my 2000 and it didn't have the dampers. they have some sort of logo with an M and a stylized "S" over top....say made in Japan....

I don't use them anymore as I've swapped to the doubletakes anyhow.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it was stupid windy on Sunday so I didn't get to the motorcycle salvage yard. I called the Honda Dealer that Tom posted but got their voicemail. I sent them an email. We'll see what they say. I spoke with a couple Honda dealerships and my parts man at my Honda dealership none of them are able to find that part available in the network. It was suggested to bring in the Transalp mirror and all hardware and we could look into other models that may have something close to that part. We'll see what happens. This is becoming more of a project then I had anticipated.

My 2001 came iwth mirrors that had vibration mounts - they LOOK OEM....or at least OEM something. I thought they were stock until I bought my 2000 and it didn't have the dampers. they have some sort of logo with an M and a stylized "S" over top....say made in Japan....

I don't use them anymore as I've swapped to the doubletakes anyhow.

Dave
My 2015 KLR only has the raw hardware. No damper. Not that the damper needs to be a damper. For the swap from the TA to the KLR it acts as a reduction bolt.

OEM Honda mirror and hardware on the KLR

OEM Kawasaki KLR mirror and hardware on the KLR

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...yeah, mine look identical to the ones in your top pic

Dave
It's possible you had Honda rearview mirrors on your 2001 KLR. My OEM KLR mirrors measure 4.304" across. My OEM Honda mirrors measure 4.931" across. Doesn't sound like a big difference but visually it is.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
Some company used to sell the Anti-vibe dampers to fit the 10mm Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki oem mirrors.
One of my customers tried a set, he felt his set had too soft of rubber and made him kinda' feel drunk or sea sick. He gave them to someone else.

I've in the not too distant past seen a set of lazy 'L' brackets that moved the oem mirrors UP & Out to allow vision around broad shoulders.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts