Administrator
8,557 Posts
Why do you need the dampers?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Why do you need the dampers?
I don't really. It's the adapter bolt is what I need. The difference between the mounting hole on the KLR bars and the Honda mirror stem itself is the issue. The Honda mirror stem threads are smaller than the mounting hole on the KLR.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
OK, I was kinda thinking that, but had read some stuff on Teh Interwebz that the Honda was 10mm. The stalk is not 10mm, it is 8mm; it is the thread on the iso-spastic damper that is 10mm.

This, then, would work, I take it?

This is the sort of confusion, the 8mm vs 10mm with adapters and isolators and the left hand Yamaha stuff, with nobody accurately describing what threads were on the stuff they were selling, that made me throw up my hands and give up. I just bought some rectangular mirror-shaped things from Dennis Kirk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just read the email response from the Honda Dealer you posted Tom. They don't have the Rubber Mounting bolt either. 😕

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
Bummer!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
I have written dozens of e-mails like that, chasing down leads for stuff that doesn't exist. Once in a while, you get lucky. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reactions: KBear

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Have to agree with you on this as well.

Can't believe I'm making such a big deal over this but here goes. As I mentioned it's the extension mounting bolt (Honda calls it a "RUBBER, MOUNTING". Kawasaki doesn't break it down they just call the whole thing "MIRROR-ASSY" so you couldn't purchase bolts individually you have to purchase the mirror and the bolts that go with them.) I'm looking for. Okay, the extension mounting bolts, both the OEM KLR and the OEM TA, screw into the handlebar bracket clockwise (RH thread) on both mounting holes on both sides of the handlebar (not RH on one side and LH on the other). It's the mirror stems themselves that screw into the extension bolt counterclockwise (LH thread). Both extension bolts are RH (Kawasaki and Honda) into the mounting bracket hole on the handlebars. The mirrors (Kawasaki and Honda) are LH thread screwing in counterclockwise.

I apologize for such dark photos. I took these in the garage this afternoon. Honda mounting bolt on the right Kawasaki on the left. For those who may not know these are the bolts that screw into the handlebar bracket and then the mirror screws into the extension bolt. The hole you see here is where the mirror screws into. Notice the size hole between the two? Notice the dark ring on the second step inside? That's the "rubber" damping system Honda used on these extension bolts.

Honda mounting bolt right Kawasaki mounting bolt left. Both screw into the handlebar mounting hole clockwise on both the Honda and the Kawasaki. If you can see the thread size on these two are the same that screw into the mounting bracket on the handlebar. Both screw in clockwise on both motorcycles.

Honda mirror is the black the Kawasaki is the chrome. Notice the stem thread size between the two? Both screw into their respective extension bolts above counterclockwise.

Honda extension mounting bolt on OEM Kawasaki handlebar bracket. RH thread into the handlebar mounting bracket hole on both sides of the handlebar.

Kawasaki extension mounting bolt on OEM Kawasaki handlebar bracket. RH thread into the handlebar mounting bracket hole on both sides of the handlebar.

·
Administrator
8,557 Posts
That's what's so cool about standards. Everybody has their own.

You wanna go crazy? Try sourcing screws, nuts, and bolts for an industrial sewing machine. Singer was the first in the market with industrial sewing machines (sewing machines in general, in truth). Their entry into the market place long preceded the development of any standards such as the Unified National Thread standard, so think back almost 100 years.

They had to make their own fasteners and chose to make them in fractional sizes such as 15/64", 3/16", 9/64" but they liked fine thread pitches. They wound up with stuff like 15/64-28, 11/64-40, 9/64-40, 3/32-56. These diameters became somewhat standardized by UN and became #6, #8, #10, 1/4", 5/16". All well and good, but UN adopted different pitches. Instead of making 1/4"-24, they adopted 1/4"-20 and 1/4"-28. Instead of a 6-40, they adopted a 6-32. Instead of a 10-28, they adopted a 10-24 and a 10-32.

Now, that would be an interesting bit of history, except that Singer set the standard for industrial compound feed machines with the 111W15x machine. A lot of machines, like the Seikos, Consew 206RB, and the Juki DNU1541, 1508, etc. borrowed heavily from that Singer design, right down to the fasteners. To this day!

Today I was happy to get a couple of 11/64-40 X 6.5mm panhead screws for only $1.10 each. I needed a stand-off for my belt cover that had a 15/64-28 male thread on one end and an 11/64-40 female on the other end. Even though it is for a machine that is in production today there was only one company that had it in stock in the US. I was happy to pay $14.94 for a part with an intrinsic value of fifty cents.

It's sort of like "Why are railroad tracks 4 feet 8.5 inches apart?"

·
Premium Member
7,144 Posts
The earlier Gen 2 models used a longer Black stemmed mirror than the Later Gen 2's with the shorter Chrome stem like KBears.

The 2012 & up Versys 650 mirrors work well/look well on the KLR's. But they're not cheap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
.....I'm starting to think perhaps Kawi used different mirrors depending on year? .....anyone check the fische's for all years? Check this out: Various KLR aftermarket and parts
The earlier Gen 2 models used a longer Black stemmed mirror than the Later Gen 2's with the shorter Chrome stem like KBears.

The 2012 & up Versys 650 mirrors work well/look well on the KLR's. But they're not cheap.
I can certainly believe both of your observations. We all know how companies farm out hardware to multiple subcontractors over time. I'm certain the mirrors on my 2015 are not the same as earlier KLRs. I just didn't think it would be this difficult to obtain a mounting bolt for this swap out. I still want to find a good mounting bolt to make this swap. Once I do I will be purchasing the Honda mirrors that are on my TA for the KLR.

The 2012 Versys 650 mirrors - $66.11 each mirror, $132.22 total before tax.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts