Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new chainsaw as I'm getting tired of my old Poulan nickel and diming me to death. I found today one of the little spring-loaded lugs for the pull starter is broken and 2 of the fuel lines have disintegrated and it's going to be a major PITA to replace them.

Looking for something in the 42cc/18" range and want to keep it under $150 so the wife won't get pissed at me and because I also wouldn't mind picking up a corded electric saw to do light work in the back yard once I get home with the bigger pieces of wood.

Yeah, I'd like to have a nice, big Stihl or Husqvarna or Echo, but it's just something I use occasionally (maybe 4-5 times a year) to cut up some firepit or smoker wood so I'm going to resist the urge to "go big."

Right now I'm looking at the 42/18 Homelite, but may go back to the similar Poulan at $170 or so. Anybody have any other recommendations based on personal use/experience?

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
I've got a small McCullough that serves me well for my needs which are similar to yours.

I've had a Homelite string trimmer for years that has been a great and trouble free machine. The key is looking after and maintaining it.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Not that you have them in the US but princess auto sells factory reconditioned poulans for less than 50%. I bought a 14" just for my Quad for $69.00 and a 18" poulan pro for $129.00. Both work awesome with no issues. Much lighter than my 18" Sthil and cheaper to replace if destroyed or lost on the trail!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
505 Posts
only one word in chainsaws, Stihl

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that you have them in the US but princess auto sells factory reconditioned poulans for less than 50%. I bought a 14" just for my Quad for $69.00 and a 18" poulan pro for $129.00. Both work awesome with no issues. Much lighter than my 18" Sthil and cheaper to replace if destroyed or lost on the trail!
Regards....justjeff
I thought about going the reconditioned route. I've seen quite a few of them for sale online.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to have a nice, big Stihl or Husqvarna or Echo, but it's just something I use occasionally (maybe 4-5 times a year) to cut up some firepit or smoker wood so I'm going to resist the urge to "go big."
?
We all know that Husky or Stihl is the way to go but it's not what he's looking for.

I've been eyeing a Stihl string trimmer but the Homelite just won't quit. Almost like my 1967 Tecumseh powered Toro lawn mower.

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
As far as the Homelites go, I'm not sure what the new ones are like, but we had an old one at the farm when I was growing up. We cut countless cords of wood for heating and it never missed a beat. Maintenance costs were bars and chains as they wore out. If the new ones are as good, and in the right price range I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I thought about going the reconditioned route. I've seen quite a few of them for sale online.
If its FACTORY reconditioned they should be good. Generally that is a unit that has been returned on warrantee and repaired at the factory not joe's backroom. They are pretty thorough at the factory level because they DO NOT want the same saw back AGAIN!!

Here Ya go....just what I was talkin' bout!!

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Rural/Assorted-18-in-Poulan-Gas-Chainsaw/8466617.p

jj

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its FACTORY reconditioned they should be good. Generally that is a unit that has been returned on warrantee and repaired at the factory not joe's backroom. They are pretty thorough at the factory level because they DO NOT want the same saw back AGAIN!!

Here Ya go....just what I was talkin' bout!!

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Rural/Assorted-18-in-Poulan-Gas-Chainsaw/8466617.p

jj
Yeah, that's the same one I've been seeing at about that same price and is basically the same saw I had before; just newer. I'm starting to think this might be the way to go.

I see they have Factory Recondtioned "A" which basically looks like a new saw and "B," which allows for small flaws like scratches, worn paint, etc.

I've always liked the Poulan saw. I thought about travelling back in time and finding an older used saw online that doesn't pester me with a safety clutch but those have been mandated for quite awhile so you'd be looking at a pretty old saw to rid yourself of that nuisance.

I personally think a squeeze clutch makes the saw more dangerous because it's more awkward to hold and wield. Plus, I just don't like people trying to protect me from myself.

I really no longer trust anything new to be trouble-free right out of the box, so I have no problem with buying something reconditioned.

Good point about "factory reconditioned,' though. I've seen some that just say "reconditioned" without the important term "factory." I think I'd stay away from those.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
I've got a small McCullough that serves me well for my needs which are similar to yours.
Well I jinxed myself with that comment. Pulled out my chainsaw for it's annual tree cut. I had put a new blade on it last year so I thought this thing is going to rip through this log. Poured in some bar oil and set it down while I mixed the gas. Came back and the bar oil is all over the garage floor. Crap what's with that. Turns out I likely overtightened the cap and end up spitting the threads on the reservoir side. Now the oil just leaks out of there. Wrapped it with some thread tape and put it to work anyway. Don't think the bar got much oil.

Anyway looks like I too am in the market for a saw. Stihl has their annual fall sale in a couple of weeks but it will still be more than the Poulan. PlanAlp did you end up with another Poulan??

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, this wound up on the back burner over the Summer and I still haven't gotten one yet.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
Shows how much you need it. I probably won't need one until next year myself.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shows how much you need it. I probably won't need one until next year myself.
I did buy a little Remington electric chainsaw that suffices for cutting up wood for the fire pits, etc and is a hell of a lot better than using a bow saw. I will most likely wait until I have a real need for the gas saw before picking one up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As a 25 year wildland firefighter with a shitton of saw time I'd say get a decent used Stihl or Husky over a new cheapy. Parts are more readily available, better quality and if you do end up wanting to expand the use of it there are more parts available to beef the thing up.
FWIW.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
That's good advice. I've actually been checking around for a used Stihl but finding one that isn't beat up has proven difficult.

Are Echo saws any good?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
That's good advice. I've actually been checking around for a used Stihl but finding one that isn't beat up has proven difficult.

Are Echo saws any good?
Buy the poulan!! They are cheap, easy to get parts for and last forever!! They are also much lighter than the Sthil. Remember YOU are not a LUMBERJACK!! But your alright!! Sheesh! Next you'll want a BMW!!
jj

·
Registered
96 Posts
For light duty use the Poulan or Homelite would be good choices, Echo sucks in my book.
The best thing with the poulan is that they make "real" chainsaws too, so the tech in the little ones is derived from the heavier duty ones.

What you should really get is a Stihl 460 with a full wrap handle ,over sized dogs, 30" bar and a few semi-skip chains. You can do some serious work with that set up.

·
Administrator
3,610 Posts
My understanding is the Poulan is a Husky company now so hopefully some R&D carried over.

I'm trying to work a trade deal with my neighbour who bought a Stihl a couple of years ago and it just sits, likely full of fuel too. He's used it once.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My understanding is the Poulan is a Husky company now so hopefully some R&D carried over.

I'm trying to work a trade deal with my neighbour who bought a Stihl a couple of years ago and it just sits, likely full of fuel too. He's used it once.
I'd work the Stihl deal hard. Don't use the fuel, it's shit if it has sat for very long. Dump it, get some fresh mix. The bar oil will still be good, tho.

If the trade doesn't go I'd get the Poulan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts