Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(See the can of worms you opened, Mark?) ;)

I mentioned this in the context of another thread recently and it got lost in the shuffle, but I am truly curious what others think. The gist of what I said was that I ride every day because I commute and live in CA. And when I don't ride for a while, I notice that it doesn't feel as natural. Not like I'm going to screw up, but not intuitive as it usually is.

Which, to me, begs the question: Are motorcycles valid recreational vehicles? I thought about this because every time it is sunny here I see a bunch of idiots riding bikes who shouldn't be LOOKING at bikes let alone riding them. Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers...just curious to hear others' thoughts.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sure they are. Pure dirt and race bikes are examples -- i.e. recreation.

And I guess the CPA's who ride their Harleys to Starbucks on Sunday mornings are recreating. Sort of.

La Roja Grande is both -- I run errands around town and then ride back roads and the beach for recreation.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
LJ I an guessing you are referring to many sport bikes and yes in CA there is a huge problem with riders making $79 a month payments on 600cc and 1,000cc motorcycles and no riding experince. They usually wear the side out before they pay it off. Their actions usually prevent us from enjoying non-patrolled twisties on the weekends. Luckily I retired and weekday riding is another story.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
What blows my gasket is the speed limiter on those sport bikes is 186mph. Why even put a limiter on them, and who decided that 186 was the limit???

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
What blows my gasket is the speed limiter on those sport bikes is 186mph. Why even put a limiter on them, and who decided that 186 was the limit???
"Why even put a limiter on them", That is usally when you crap your pants.

"who decided that 186 was the limit?" Look for a rider with crapped pants.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, that was funny Tim and Mark. You guys should work up an act. ;)

I should have been clearer. Here's what I mean. I knew someone would mention pure dirt bikes and tracks...that fits into a different category for me. Like with skiing or skydiving. Definitely dangerous, but in a relatively remote and controlled environment. What I mean is people who ride seldom that ride in traffic. There are people who live in San Francisco that probably ride their bikes once a month. And it is for a 500 mile poker run where they are putting their lives and others' lives on the line. Now, that IS recreation, but is it viable in terms of society's limits? But I'm not even talking law...I'm interested in the idea as a social commentary. I was just thinking...guys who ride their Harleys when they want to wear their new chaps...squids who ride only when the weather is perfect (the weather is never perfect here)...are they crazy? I can't even imagine having to take winter off...it is a luxury to be able to stay in tune. But if you have a Goldwing and you take one long ass trip a year...well, isn't that crazy? I'm not trying to be condescending or insulting to anyone who rides...even the hypothetical riders I have listed above...I honestly wonder. Riding a horse can mess you up, but it is not likely to take out a minivan full of kids.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure I understand where you're trying to go with this....

A person should only be able to drive/ride on a "need to" basis? Who decides?

Should I not have a pickup camper that I only use 8 or 10 times a year for fun? I don't drive it to work. Should I not have a rifle that I only use to punch holes in paper -- not put meat on the table?

Not trying to be pissy or anything, but really, the squids and posers have as much right to the road (and the risks to themselves and others) that us real people have.

Said with a grin.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Ahh, that was funny Tim and Mark. You guys should work up an act. ;)

I should have been clearer. Here's what I mean. I knew someone would mention pure dirt bikes and tracks...that fits into a different category for me. Like with skiing or skydiving. Definitely dangerous, but in a relatively remote and controlled environment. What I mean is people who ride seldom that ride in traffic. There are people who live in San Francisco that probably ride their bikes once a month. And it is for a 500 mile poker run where they are putting their lives and others' lives on the line. Now, that IS recreation, but is it viable in terms of society's limits? But I'm not even talking law...I'm interested in the idea as a social commentary. I was just thinking...guys who ride their Harleys when they want to wear their new chaps...squids who ride only when the weather is perfect (the weather is never perfect here)...are they crazy? I can't even imagine having to take winter off...it is a luxury to be able to stay in tune. But if you have a Goldwing and you take one long ass trip a year...well, isn't that crazy? I'm not trying to be condescending or insulting to anyone who rides...even the hypothetical riders I have listed above...I honestly wonder. Riding a horse can mess you up, but it is not likely to take out a minivan full of kids.
No you were clear. I just had one of those "Grandpa" moments, and saw the word sport bikes and went on a rave. Tim... I crap my pants at 86mph. Thread un-officially un-jacked

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you, BigIron. And that's the weird thing. I don't know what I'm trying to say either. My logical brain and the other 98% of it are battling each other. ;)

But you're right. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. Man, when my daughter starts driving I will never sleep again. ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
About speed, I know that there are motorcycles faster than my tech-ed up KZ1100 was but jeez it was fast.

I was once a brain dead type who used to go fast (read that as fast as it would go) I never, let me repeat that, NEVER, had the time to study the speedometer so I could tell everyone how fast I was going. Call me a pansy but after about 125mph things are happening so fast that each additional 10mph seems almost an exponential increase in the concept of time & distance. I never had the guts to try to read the speedo!

I have always listened to the guys who would detail to me their exploits at 130mph with the same ear that I used for the guy who would tell me about the ten point buck he missed. My thinking on the latter was always that he was full of it,(poop) because any deer I ever saw that I could tell you how many points were on his antlers would end up hanging on the wall, not as a story about one that I missed.

The point, the same guy who claims to be keeping careful record of his speed and actions at or above 130mph also misses ten point bucks on a regular basis.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"The point, the same guy who claims to be keeping careful record of his speed and actions at or above 130mph also misses ten point bucks on a regular basis."

Let's be fair...it's hard to shoot accurately when you're going that fast. ;) :16a:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think you two know exactly what I mean. Up here one (CR) came in contact with an Alaskan Brown Bear on the Old Glen in 05. The bear ran away after the altercation. Kid on bike lived but bike was Killed.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew what you meant. ;)

There are a lot of deer around where I ride (not in the actual city...just drunks), but I always keep my eyes PEELED. Do NOT want to hit a deer or a drunk. In a car. Let alone on a bike.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Several hunters standing around talking. "Got my biggest buck with a 270". Another said, "Got mine with a 30/06. What'd you get yours with, Earl?" Earl replied "F-250".

·
Registered
815 Posts
Speed and vehicles is nothing new, not sure why the sudden shock. Back in the day when dirt bikes didn't even exist, you had guys like Paul Newman taking Harleys off road. Now, that's more of a shock then speeding on a crotch rocket designed for speed. The negative part is these guys always manage to kill bystanders with their antics. The only reason you see these superbikes on the street is the same reason we see supercars. In order to race in the stock circuits, they must produce and sell a certain quantity.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wanderer...that was pretty much my point and what I wanted to discuss. There are people who own vastly overpowered and complicated vehicles, drive them infrequently, and then drive them around other people. Track days and tearing up the desert...different story. Riding your hayabusa you bought cause you are a "bad ass" even though you never ride and then putting other's lives in danger is a bad scene. Exaggeration, but you get the point.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's really not an exclusive club to newbie or part timers though. You have plenty of experienced riders and car drivers out there pushing their limits also. You have drag racers, stunters and everyone in between.

I also don't think power/cc's has anything to do with it. You ever ride a ninja 500? Size vs power, that little sucker is a screamer. Once you get to the 600cc bikes, anything after that doesn't really matter. Once you hit a hundred, anything above that is also irrelevant. Heck, even the little Ninja 250 has a pretty good kick to it. With it's new styling and extremely affordable price, they have been selling out before ever seeing a showroom.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree...I wasn't singling out newbies. There are plenty of "seasoned" riders who take a few rides a season. This started out being about getting rusty with lack of practice. See the original few posts.

I kind of want a ninja 250. This was on another forum. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Big Iron and Lock Jaw, Big Iron, because if you don't use it everyday doesn't mean you're a squid or don't know what you are doing, if you have the talent and the money have at it, but read about the texters, cell phoners, and you do have to wonder how many people have they hurt that avoided their lack or conscience about people around them, and their lack of caring when they did it, LockJaw should have taken the woman to court, she'd have remembered now she has another shot at the next kid on a bike, motorcyclist, pedistrian or whatever, and that person could very well be his kids or mine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts